best tyres for my carrera vulcan?

arnieA380
arnieA380 Posts: 59
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys

I recently bought a carrera vulcan and i love it, but iv read alot about upgrading mountain bike parts etc and it mentions tyres, so just wanted to know what tyres do people recommend i could upgrade to as as far as i know, stock tyres are rubbish.

Im using the bike on the road to communte to work but on my days off i like going on trails, bike rides, dirt paths etc so need good grip.

thank you

Comments

• https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYHDSGONE ... g-mtb-tyre aren't bad for £21, depending upon how sloppy the off-road bits are.

I used the 29er version last week on my road trip around some Mendips cat3s on Monday, plus on the quite sloppy Nockatt Climb near Shearwater on Wednesday. They were great on the road for a trip not so much about speed and while I was riding cautiously, they kept traction on the wet mud/gravel to the west of Shearwater lake.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Unless you're actually having problems with your tyres - I'd just keep them on until they wear out. OK they may not be as good or light as after market tyres - but its not like a light and day difference.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Have a loook at the Kenda small block 8, it's small close spaced blocks roll well on road but they also grip well off it unless you get gloopy mud when it looses grip quite fast.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Firstly there is no best tyre.

Secondly you want to cycle on roads and also off road. These are two opposite so you choose on that is suitable for road but will be bad for off road, or vice versa, or one that is a compromise so is reasonably good on both.

I would go for off road tyre, this will work better on the road than a road tyre off road.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    Have a loook at the Kenda small block 8, it's small close spaced blocks roll well on road but they also grip well off it unless you get gloopy mud when it looses grip quite fast.
    Second this. I use them on my Explosif, that only goes off road, but great on most surfaces until it gets too mushy, then things become interesting.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • would any of you guys recommend this off road tyre

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/continental-mou ... igodigital

although iv read not to go tubeless with it or any other tyre as tubless leaks air
  • what would people recommend on frh front and back then guys?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    There's no point in us telling you what you need. How are you getting on with the tyres you have ? If you're not riding off road then stick to road tyres and vice versa.
    What works in one area of the country might be useless in your area.
  • cougie wrote:
    There's no point in us telling you what you need. How are you getting on with the tyres you have ? If you're not riding off road then stick to road tyres and vice versa.
    What works in one area of the country might be useless in your area.

the tyres that came on the bike are ok but i notice they can be a bit slippy in wet conditions.

i will be going off road though on my days off
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Conti Black Chili compound (the ones linked to) are very good, but soft and will wear very quickly on roads. Not cheap.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools