Is the EX471 wheel set the cheapest long term solution for me?

Applesandoranges
Applesandoranges Posts: 41
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi, I'm 17 stone and been looking for a very durable long lasting wheel set. I will be using them for everything apart from full on down hill including heavy trail to xc stuff on my trail bike

I can get a black Friday deal on a DT Swiss build with warranty, brass nipples, DT comp spokes and a set of hope pro 4 wheels for little over £500 for now with q Black Friday offer.

This is the first time I've thought about upgrading wheels as I'm sick of replacing bearings frequently or warping rims. I constantly get recommended the ex471s for me personally.

My biggest question is would the price tag justify the the wheels for me or can I get something else that's cheaper that's equally as good? Although I can afford it now with the amount of overtime I'm getting this time of year this is a considerable amount of money for me to blow on wheels and wish I could get this build for around £400.

Will the ex471s last me as this is the key answer because it's costing me quite a lot replacing and repairing wheels, any other suggestions?/

Much appreciated!

Comments

• Or anything else?
  • Not a bad shout at all. If you're looking at handbuilts (which you are) then it's also worth thinking about similar rims such as the Velocity Blunt (slightly wider) and H Plus Son Todestreib as well as thinking about Novatech or similar hubs for improved value (cheaper) and ease of servicing/reliability mix.

I have a set of the H+Son/Novatechs on my 29er and the Blunts on Hopes on my full sus and they are both excellent, reliable wheelsets. I used to be your weight as well.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ]Not a bad shout at all. If you're looking at handbuilts (which you are) then it's also worth thinking about similar rims such as the Velocity Blunt (slightly wider) and H Plus Son Todestreib as well as thinking about Novatech or similar hubs for improved value (cheaper) and ease of servicing/reliability mix.

I have a set of the H+Son/Novatechs on my 29er and the Blunts on Hopes on my full sus and they are both excellent, reliable wheelsets. I used to be your weight as well

Thanks for your advice hwlped me out a lot I will check the options you mentioned now
    [/quote
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    not really much of a deal at 500 TBH

superstar have deals for black Friday. can get a stans flow build which should be 499 with 40% off if you add something to take it over the 500 mark with the code BF40 = ~300