Carbon saddle - finish

jgsi
jgsi Posts: 5,062
edited November 2017 in Workshop
My Selle Italia carbon slr 's lacquer finish began to crack and actually rubbed away at a set of bib shorts during a race.

I have stripped back the lacquer to a bare carbon finish. It looks quite good matt, but has anyone got any suggestions to put a finish back on it?
Spray lacquering is one possible but any other method - perhaps to keep a matt look?
am not planning to re apply any decals.

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    You can get lacquer in many finishes from full gloss to full matt. Just decide which finish you want and get the appropriate lacquer. You will need one which is suitable for the amount of flex that the shell is subject to when riding so it does not end up cracking like your original finish. I would suggest an automotive paint supplier is more likely to have what you need rather than your local bike shop.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • You'll be fine with lacquer but I think matte finish will probably start to turn glossy where your bibs constantly rub the finish. I've sanded an gloss lacquered my ale tekno a few times and it looks great until it gets knocked and chipped on something.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • jgsi
    Cheers... of course a protective layer is required before that carbon gets rained on , just to perpetuate the urban myth.
    Ive just realised I work in a place that actually has a paintshop , doh

The saddle has been used and abused but still in great nick, hence giving it a new lease of life.
  • jgsi
    20171125_145644.jpg

It's come up alright using matt finish lacquer.