What are you wearing...

j_mcd
j_mcd Posts: 473
edited January 2018 in Commuting chat
So, yesterday, not that cold (about 3 degrees) but with the threat of rain (that never materialised). What are people wearing for that kind of conditions? I ended up in three layers (thin base, long sleeved jersey and coat) but it was WAY too much and the coat had to go.

What are you wearing when it's damp and a bit cold?
Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
Planet X London Road - Wet
Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Below 5c and a bit damp: bib shorts and longs, thin base, gabba, arm warmers, buff and cap. Usually start with full finger gloves and change to mitts about a quarter of the way in.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • j_mcd
    j_mcd Posts: 473
    Asprilla wrote:
    Below 5c and a bit damp: bib shorts and longs, thin base, gabba, arm warmers, buff and cap. Usually start with full finger gloves and change to mitts about a quarter of the way in.

That's the Perfetto now isn't it? Quite interested in that but it's almost impossible to find anywhere that have them in stock to try on. The bike shop in Canary Wharf only stocks XXS, XS and S. It's also quite mentally hurtful to buy a bit of clothing that is badged as XXXL!
    Giant Defy Advanced 0 - Best
    Planet X London Road - Wet
    Montague Fit - Foldy thing that rarely gets used these days
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    11 degrees today - weathers all over the place. I'd rather it was consistently cold so i'd know what to wear.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    Short sleeve base layer, arm warmers, ss jersey, shorts, knee warmers and a gilet.

Defeet Dura gloves and toe covers too.

Does me down to about freezing, maybe a bit below.
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • This month I will mostly be wearing
    DHB Aeron Hybrid softshell
    either short or long sleeved merino b/s
    Rivello 3/4 bibs if above 10c - DHB tights if below
    Rapha insulated hat
    DHB windslam gloves
    Merino buff
  • Sorpasso longs, Jersey/base layer, lightweight softshell jacket and either winter or autumn gloves depending how chilly.
  • This is going to be rather location and person, dependant.

I run hot and live around london, so haven’t had to use full gloves for a few years now, I commute in civies only cycling stuff being mitts/helmet.

In cycling gear, at the moment it’s a baselayer and cycling trousers, though I tend to wear the trousers most of the year. I just add more layers, I have a light wind proof jacket if close to zero and/or strong cold wind.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I run hot and live around london, so haven’t had to use full gloves for a few years now

I thought it was just me. It's got to be well below zero for me to be able to wear full finger gloves for a full commute.

Weirdly my hands get cold when just wandering around London. I must just be inefficient and produce too much heat when exercising.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • I'm trying to learn from trial and mostly error, how much to wear this autumn, based on the weather and how intensive my rides are.

The only time I can recall being cold was on Monday in the Mendips, where my feet froze despite merino socks, I usually have overheating legs (base layer tights plus padded shorts) and/or overheating torso (base layer, Altura Peleton Convert, Dafeet gloves).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    This month I will mostly be wearing
    Rapha insulated hat
    DHB windslam gloves
    Merino buff

How do you find the hybrid softshell ? Looks good.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    The long sleeved jersies have ventured out this week but only worn with a mesh base layer and gilet. Still warm enough for the jacket to have a longer summer rest, my hands are covered by a thin pair of full finger gloves and my legs are in shorts & knee warmers or 3/4 tights. I don't own a pair of full tights but will have my knees covered now, my calves are bare year round. I've worn a cut down buff under my helmet on the way to work as my hair is very short but not felt the need for it on the way home.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • mrfpb
    mrfpb Posts: 4,569
    T-shirt, zip up Cardigan, reflective jacket and chinos. Endura baa baa socks, full finger windproof gloves. That's first thing, I don't wear the cardie on the way home.
  • cougie wrote:
    This month I will mostly be wearing
    Rapha insulated hat
    DHB windslam gloves
    Merino buff

How do you find the hybrid softshell ? Looks good.

It's very very good. In fact it's my favourite jacket (and I have a few!) I've also got the Aeron full protection softshell and the Aeron Roubaix jersey - it's basically the Roubaix jersey but with windproof panels on the body and arms, less insulated than the FPS. This makes it more versatile as you can wear it across a wider range of temperatures simply by changing your baselayer - from ss summer around 10c to LS merino base for 3-4c. Below that I'll be reaching for the FPS probably but only because I have one, sure I could layer up a bit more with the hybrid and be just as toasty.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    still in shorts as it hasn't got cold enough here yet for anything longer (bar 2 days that I wasn't prepared for) ... and short sleeve top with arm warmers in the morning and a light windproof jacket

I am hovever on long sleeve cloves and a cap under the helmet .. but thats because I have not enough hair !
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,242
    fat daddy wrote:
    still in shorts as it hasn't got cold enough here yet for anything longer (bar 2 days that I wasn't prepared for) ... and short sleeve top with arm warmers in the morning and a light windproof jacket

I am hovever on long sleeve cloves and a cap under the helmet .. but thats because I have not enough hair !

Must have very hairy knees...!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Cheers Arthur !
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Whatever you wore today.... you'll need more tomorrow. Back down to near freezing for a few mornings.
  • Below 9C it's biblongs, thin vest baselayer, rapha winter jacket, gilet, proteam rainproof cap. Below zero, its time for a merino baselayer
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    ~12 deg - 3/4 autumn weight shorts, 3/4 thin baggies over the top, SS summer weight jersey & armwarmers, SS merino baselayer
    ~7 degs - as above, change to LS , LS autumn jersey , SS merino baselayer.
    ~2 deg - 1/2 summer shorts & endura multisport tights over the top, LS top, long baselayer.
    <0 - as above with aldi softshell jacket instead of ls jersey, but boil.

Am considering a windstopper jersey as an xmas present request, see how that fits in.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • seajays
    seajays Posts: 331
    I check the temperature before I leave every morning - this is what I go with:

15°C+ = Bib Shorts, short sleeve jersey, fingerless gloves
    10°C to 15°C = Bib Shorts, short sleeve jersey, underarmour vest, fingerless gloves
    5°C to 10°C = Bib Shorts, short sleeve jersey, Long sleeve top, underarmour vest, gloves, buff under helmet
    -5°C to +5°C = Roubaix Bib Tights (long), DHB Windslam Roubaix Long Sleeve, Long sleeve top, underarmour vest, Lobster gloves, buff under helmet
    less than -5°C = Extra thick Roubaix Bib Tights (long), DHB Windslam Roubaix Long Sleeve, Long sleeve top, underarmour vest, wool gloves, Lobster gloves, thermal shoe covers, balaclava.

Lowest temperature I've commuted in was -15°C a couple of years ago. That was pretty cold, added leg warmers to go under the tights with that.
    Cannondale CAADX Tiagra 2017
    Revolution Courier Race Disc '14
    My Strava
  • Asprilla wrote:
    I run hot and live around london, so haven’t had to use full gloves for a few years now

I thought it was just me. It's got to be well below zero for me to be able to wear full finger gloves for a full commute.

Weirdly my hands get cold when just wandering around London. I must just be inefficient and produce too much heat when exercising.

It’s even worse now since my new commute is 11 vs 3 miles, so I warm up, this week I’ve overdressed, quite a few times, I also don’t go though Bushy Park early as I once did, which can get quite cold, though parts of Crane Park aren’t far off!
  • dyrlac
    dyrlac Posts: 751
    >10: summer kit.
    >5: thermal bibshorts, l/s jersey (these days almost exclusively the perfetto l/s)
    >3: same, l/s baselayer, plus full fingered gloves and a headband
    0: biblongs (if after 1 December)
  • Dyrlac wrote:
    >10: summer kit.
    >5: thermal bibshorts, l/s jersey (these days almost exclusively the perfetto l/s)
    >3: same, l/s baselayer, plus full fingered gloves and a headband
    0: biblongs (if after 1 December)

Your knees must love you.
  • Nearly bought a pair of the new Boardman tights/bibs and a thermal blue top last weekend, when they were in a 20% off for buying two Boardman clothing promo, so would have been ~£67/75.

But on my Mendips ride on Monday, my legs and torso were fine in the ~5C temps, it was my feet that suffered despite the Aldi merino socks... Warming my feet back up in my post 7-hour ride shower was really painful!
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • But on my Mendips ride on Monday, my legs and torso were fine in the ~5C temps, it was my feet that suffered despite the Aldi merino socks... Warming my feet back up in my post 7-hour ride shower was really painful!

That could have made the feet worse. I tend to go to longs and winter boots quite early but I do find that if there is a gap between gloves and windproof my hands get cold very quick. Loose that gap and they stay warm no problem. Since I already have knee issues I'm not going to expose my legs to o the cold air and experiment to see if my feet cool down quicker ;)

To be fair the best advice anyone can give here is keep experimenting until you find something that works for you and don't let the calendar dictate what you wear (just the conditions).

Mike
  • defever
    defever Posts: 171
    New to the cycle specific apparel scene... I don't have any other than hi-vis cycling jacket from Aldi.

Around 10C - Normal casual cargo shorts, t-shirt, Aldi hi-vis jacket, and Decathlon 700 winter gloves (in the morning). Don't feel cold to start, by the time I finish (50-55min commute), my t-shirt is soaked. I have shower. In the evening, I don't wear the gloves.

Around 5-3C - I wear cheap Decathlon waterproof cycling trousers (the one with overshoes bits), t-shirt, same hi-vis, same winter gloves, and maybe a bike cap under the helmet. Cold to start but quickly warms up in 5-10min. By the time I finish, my t-shirt is soaked, cap a bit wet. Same setting in the evenings.

Are jerseys really better than ordinary 100% cotton t-shirts? I'm being ascrooge by thinking why by clothes that I can only wear whilst cycling when I can just wear something normal (and get soaked, which I don't mind because it dries before I cycle back home)?
  • Positively tropical out there today for late November! Work shorts, short sleeved shirt and a gillet were more than enough.
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • defever wrote:
    New to the cycle specific apparel scene... I don't have any other than hi-vis cycling jacket from Aldi.
    Are jerseys really better than ordinary 100% cotton t-shirts? I'm being ascrooge by thinking why by clothes that I can only wear whilst cycling when I can just wear something normal (and get soaked, which I don't mind because it dries before I cycle back home)?

If you don't find the way that a sweaty cotton t-shirt clings to you unpleasant and cold then thats fine. The big advantage of cycling (or even just generic sports clothing) is that even when wet with sweat it keeps your body at a more consistent temperature than a cotton t-shirt will. I used to do exactly the same thing but there is no way I'd even consider doing a short ride now in a cotton t-shirt as the chill down effect and the way it sticks you you when wet is just unpleasant when compared to even the most basic wicking top.

Mike
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    defever wrote:

Yes, but your actual benefits depends. Cotton holds water, which if cools, is then very cold against the skin, and very hard to warm up again. Once soaked, it's abilty to absorb more sweat is significantly reduced, meaning that any more sweat can't evaporate, meaning you can't cool down, so you overheat.
    Wicking materials remove the sweat from your skin, moving it away to the outside surface, rather than absorbing it. This means that it leaves space behind for the next bead of sweat, so you can continue to cool down.
    Wicking materials significantly reduce the risk of chaffing as well, because it's not wet skin against wet skin/t-shirt.

If you have a wicking baselayer of any form (walking, running etc) , try it out under your t-shirt - your t-shirt is likely to be as wet, if not more so, but you should remain cooler, and more comfortable. You may need to give up the jacket due to the extra layer of insulation.

http://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/172 ... -all-lycra

When i started cycling hard as kid on an MTB, I quickly melted, and it ruined my fun. It wasn't until I had my own money and bought a cheap baselayer for winter that I discovered the difference, and haven't looked back since.

I still only cycle to work and back in £7 lidl or aldi cycling tops, and have a merino SS baselayer that I initially bought from TK-Maxx for skiing that's just perfect for weather like today, cost about £9, and a long sleeved polaris loose fit baselayer that I picked up in a charity shop. I've got compression base layers that I've bought or been given, but I just don't get on with them any more.

I look upon all these named brand jerseys in the sales at the moment, and as much as I like the look, I just can't justify them over what I've got.

If you just want to see the difference of a basic jersey, grab a £5 SS cycling top , or £10 LS one (100 series) from Decathlon and put it under your jacket, and see how you feel, but being designed for summer, you might need to actually layer up a bit ( baselayers)

Side note - if its' drizzling out, I can typically get away without a jacket at all, because the jerseys keep the moisture away from me and it evaporates quickly, something I wouldn't consider in a cotton t-shirt due to the cooling effect.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Cheapo SS jersey's: the £5 aldi/lidl planet X ones all yr round & cycling cap to stop helmet pads being dissovled by sweat.

Long cycling leggings if below 5C sometimes, Otherwise normally mtb shorts or lycra shorts

In winter use a lightweight gilet and arm warmers.

I can't wear jackets unless I cycle really slowly as I get to hot. I Carry a ligheweight waterproof jacket in saddle bag to use incase of mechanical/torrential rain.

Have a LS jersey but never wear it as get to hot. Have 4 pairs of armwarmers there easy to take of and put in back jersey pockets