TV Series - Reviews and Recommendations......

Comments

• pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,593
    Recorded all the A-team episodes over the summer.
    The kids love to watch them on Sunday when we let them have Tea in the lounge.
    latest?cb=20140302182719
    :shock: :shock: :shock:
    What on earth do you do for punishment? :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I pity the fool who doesn't appreciate The A-Team!
  • mr_goo
    mr_goo Posts: 3,770
    Stranger Things 2.
    The continuing story of the upside down and demagorgons all set to the backdrop of early 80s America. Ahh nostalgia. Even has a Motley Crue track in there somewhere.
    Well I enjoyed it. Sets up nicely for a final 3rd series.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • pblakeney
    Mr Goo wrote:
    Stranger Things 2.
    The continuing story of the upside down and demagorgons all set to the backdrop of early 80s America. Ahh nostalgia. Even has a Motley Crue track in there somewhere.
    Well I enjoyed it. Sets up nicely for a final 3rd series.
    Motley Crue were cheesy in the '80s, and not in a good way.
    Can't imagine that time has helped.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    Snowfall,I have been watching this on BBC2,it has been ok up to now but I keep thinking this could of been so much better,the episodes needed to be 1hr long not 45mins,and a bit quicker story shouldn't of been hard with a it's story line
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Snowfall,I have been watching this on BBC2,it has been ok up to now but I keep thinking this could have been so much better,the episodes needed to be 1hr long not 45mins,and a bit quicker story shouldn't of been hard with a it's story line
    Everything has to be able to fit in an hour long commercial slot now though. Even Blue Planet set themselves up for this by having the how we did it bit on the end
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    Tashman wrote:
    Snowfall,I have been watching this on BBC2,it has been ok up to now but I keep thinking this could have been so much better,the episodes needed to be 1hr long not 45mins,and a bit quicker story shouldn't of been hard with a it's story line
    Everything has to be able to fit in an hour long commercial slot now though. Even Blue Planet set themselves up for this by having the how we did it bit on the end

Isn't it more by having 10 mins non-animals footage at the end, they can eek out another episode after 5 episodes?

And let's face it, while we all marvel at how interesting the animals are; they're not the ones building machines, filming them, etc etc.
  • pblakeney
    I quite often find the last 10 minutes the most interesting part.
    The commercial aspect abroad wouldn't surprise me at all, especially if they make the extras into a "special" episode.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • dinyull
    Tashman wrote:

I thought it was so they could sell to other networks (home and abroad) and fit in with adverts?

Or is that what you mean?
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    Dinyull wrote:
    Tashman wrote:

I thought it was so they could sell to other networks (home and abroad) and fit in with adverts?

Or is that what you mean?
    Exactly this
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b09glhsh/britains-cycling-superheroes-the-price-of-success?suggid=b09glhsh

p05n3s8m.jpg

Superb doc.

Loved the bit where Brailsford is talking about first Tour attempt, and the lack of success. He almost breaks down, like his Mum had died! Millar comes across very anti-Sky, but he always has something intelligent to say, and sums things up with his quote (paraphrase) "Compassionate ruthlessness would be something to see, because (pure) ruthlessness always wins out". Those riders griping about Sutton sound like sour grapes for being dropped, just haven't faced that they weren't good enough. Having said that, no excuse if there was bullying, sexism or other forms of discrimination.

Looks to me like Sky and Brailsford a tad naive over the TUE controversy. It was within the rules so it was OK kind of thinking. Officially they won clean, but heavy grey area cloud hanging over them. Anyway, covered in other threads on here.
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire
  • Anyone for Babylon Berlin?
  • vimfuego
    vimfuego Posts: 1,783
    seanoconn wrote:
    Rick and Morty. It's a cartoon! But for adults only. Follows the exploits of Rick Sanchez, a alcoholic genius mad scientist and his slightly whiny grandson Morty. If you're in the mood to just switch off and enjoy some crazy ff'd up lunacy, this is definitely for you.

True that - I gave it a go, loved it. I know people that think it's a pile of sh*t, but whatever, it definitely appealed to my sense of humour.
    QH9h4qR.gif
    CS7
    Surrey Hills
    What's a Zwift?
  • pblakeney
    In a cast and housebound so watching lots of films and TV boxsets...
    Films, meh. Watching The Wire due to recommendations. It is good, but not the best.
    I started watching Goliath to break up between the episodes of all Wire 5 series. Now that is good.
    Nothing comes close to Band Of Brothers.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • Anyone for Babylon Berlin?

Yes - been impressed with it so far. Worth watching just for Lotte.

Just finished Godless (Netflix) and was also impressed with this. Just an old fashioned western with an old fashioned theme but well scripted, acted and produced.

The Sinner, again on Netflix. Jury still out on this one after four episodes. Usually comes down to how they finish things off. Try to be too clever and it's like "really?" or they can just drift to the end with no real conclusion/climax.
  • mr_goo
    vimfuego wrote:
    seanoconn wrote:
    Rick and Morty. It's a cartoon! But for adults only. Follows the exploits of Rick Sanchez, a alcoholic genius mad scientist and his slightly whiny grandson Morty. If you're in the mood to just switch off and enjoy some crazy ff'd up lunacy, this is definitely for you.

True that - I gave it a go, loved it. I know people that think it's a pile of sh*t, but whatever, it definitely appealed to my sense of humour.
    QH9h4qR.gif

I have a Plumbus. I put it on dashboard of my car. Mrs Goo was not amused. Stating that it looked obscene.
    Always be yourself, unless you can be Aaron Rodgers....Then always be Aaron Rodgers.
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Anyone for Babylon Berlin?

Yes - been impressed with it so far. Worth watching just for Lotte.

Just finished Godless (Netflix) and was also impressed with this. Just an old fashioned western with an old fashioned theme but well scripted, acted and produced.

The Sinner, again on Netflix. Jury still out on this one after four episodes. Usually comes down to how they finish things off. Try to be too clever and it's like "really?" or they can just drift to the end with no real conclusion/climax.
    Enjoyed Godless, some solid acting particularly Scoot McNairy who's always worth a watch and Thomas Brodie-Sangster, the kid from Love Actually has turned into quite the accomplished actor. Jack O'Connell is normally good value but his American accent and leading man romance were far from convincing.

Gave up on Sinner after one episode.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    Anyone for Babylon Berlin?

Yeah liked the first one a lot,not managed anymore at the moment but i did manage an episode of Porridge and the Christmas Specials the other day.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Peaky Blinders, 4th series on BBC2
  • pblakeney
    diamonddog wrote:
    +1.
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    PBlakeney wrote:
    diamonddog wrote:
    +1.
    I've got the cap 8) Minus the razor blade.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • pblakeney
    I've got the blade, just need the cap. :wink:
    Veronese68 wrote:
  • mr_goo
    Star Trek Discovery - Netflix.
    The second tranche of the first season kicked off last weekend after a few weeks break.
    So far this has been an excellent incarnation of the franchise. The story writing is excellent, great costumes and special effects for a TV series. The plot twists in this second tranche are some that you wouldn't see coming. Great to see that the helm of the ship is handed to another Brit, Jason Isaacs. And Shazad Latif (Clem Fandango) another Brit, as Tyler is an excellent character and the reveal in this latest episode makes for heightened interest for the remainder of the season.
    Thoroughly enjoyable and backed up by a magazine programme after each episode that has interviews with the writers, producers, actors and other production crew. This makes for good lighthearted insight. No spoilers from me.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    Have just started watching Stranger things, which is awesome.

Spiral is on BBC4\iplayer at the mo, and McMafia is bloody good, currently on BBC1\iplayer.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    ^This +1
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    +1 for Star Trek. I've jettisoned The Walking Dead and this is my Monday treat.
  • qube
    qube Posts: 1,899
    El Chapo on Netflix.

A great companion to the Narcos series.
  • dinyull
    Just finished the 2nd series of the Crown - which has been a binge watch since Christmas.

Despite not being a fan of the Royals, really enjoyed it. Think it helped that it was loosely dramatised around "real" events.

Shame we have to wait for the next series.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Daniel B wrote:
    Have just started watching Stranger things, which is awesome.

Spiral is on BBC4\iplayer at the mo, and McMafia is bloody good, currently on BBC1\iplayer.

I'm just reading the book of the same name (being serialised in the Times mag at the mo') - bewildering how the world of organised crime and is all linked.

Worth a read if you get a chance.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • meursault
    meursault Posts: 1,433
    4b9291133dc9dcc87e092b69f65e8960f6d2a4d4.jpg

Very good. There is a couple of episodes with not a lot happening, but that tends to be the style now.

Also

Inside.No.9-thumb-860xauto-55002.jpg

More dark and twisty drama from Shearsmith and Pemberton. reminds me a bit od Tales of the Unexpected.

and

Black%20Mirror%20Book%20Cover%20via%20Random%20House%20Header.jpg
    Superstition sets the whole world in flames; philosophy quenches them.

Voltaire