Ex display bikes?

champ222
champ222 Posts: 63
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi All, recently bought a used bike that turned out to be pretty knackered. I will always be at risk buying used, as i dont really have enough experience to spot problems.

since i'm tight on budget, ive noticed that Evans and Tredz have some decent discounts on there ex-display and ex-demo bikes. they do show the discounts against the rrp, which is more than they usually sell them for anyway, but still good prices none the less, and can still get it on 0% i think.

anyone bought ex-display like this? anything i should look out for?

Thanks

Andy

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Have you looked at places like Canyon and On One ? Dealing direct so good value bikes ?
  • the cheapest Canyon is a bit more than i want to spend, and On One is a lot more.

Thanks for pointing those out though
  • I'll have to keep my eye out for a bargain. Nothing quite right on the websites yet. dont know how often the stock changes.
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Whats a tight budget ?
    What bike have you bought already ?
    Problem with evans and tradz is even when product marked down its still not as good a buy as the
    bikes from go outdoors or halfords at the lower end of market.
    Most people on here can help with issues of the used bike you have.
    Plus if needing credit your better off getting a 0% purchase credit card and having a choice of where you buy a bike.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Ex display is fine but knowing how I've ridden demo bikes, I wouldn't buy one.
  • I've arranged a refund on the used bike I bought, so that's all good. Budget was originally £200 ish used. Going new, I've been looking at something that I like the look of with 27.5" wheels and a reasonable fork. Though I'd probably be fine with the likes of the suntour xcr, something's drawing me to the next stage up. Could go with a 0% card, but evans and tredz seem to have a decent range between them. Looked around halfords to start with. Quite like the voodoos. The hoodoo would be my choice, but it seems they are discontinued. The bizango gets great reviews. But it felt huge when I sat on it. The current boardman 650b comp looks great on paper, but I don't really like the look of it compared to the older ones ive seen. I've seen which look great. I have my eye on a used boardman that I might have a bid on. Failing that I'll continue to look for a new one. Cheers
  • Ex display bikes will sometimes have some cosmetic marks but will be just as good as a new bike as they have never been used just on display in a shop. It’s ex demo that have been used
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Ex display is fine but knowing how I've ridden demo bikes, I wouldn't buy one.

and how is that? how would that differ on a s/h bike bought privately? At least with shop they will (should) have checked it over, replaced damaged or worn parts and should offer some guarantee.

Obviously brand new from shop is best but that costs more unless in a sale.