Looking for help to chose between these two bikes

frozenwhite
frozenwhite Posts: 16
edited December 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys. I'm in the market for a new MTB. I do a bit of road cycling just now but really want a MTB to try downhill and trails. I have narrowed it down to these two and needing some help to decide. Any help would be appreciated

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... reId=10001

http://m.gooutdoors.co.uk/calibre-bossn ... lsrc=aw.ds

Comments

• Sorry going to chuck this into the mix as well as £1000 Is stretching my budget but if people tell me it's worth the extra I can probably stretch to it for the bossnut

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-5 ... 79043.html
  • wmorgs
    wmorgs Posts: 113
    Deffo the bossnut !
    Only needs tubeless and dropper post in futrue upgrades !
  • Is that a no brainer? I'm clueless when it comes to MTB to be honest
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    wmorgs wrote:
    Deffo the bossnut !

What he said.

But depends what you mean by trails.

And you really don't mean Downhill. Riding down hills maybe.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    wmorgs wrote:
    Deffo the bossnut !

What he said.

But depends what you mean by trails.

And you really don't mean Downhill. Riding down hills maybe.

You are probably correct. I will probably be riding glentress and innerleithen mostly with some trips up to the highlands in the summer. Anyone know if there is a size chart for the bossnut? Couldn't see one on the go outdoors website
  • cooldad
    For that, the Bossnut. Great trails, was up there earlier this year.

Can't see a size guide, just geometry.

Worth either getting to a shop or calling I suppose.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I would say the bossnut as it is more inline with aggressive modern geometry. It was also voted best trail bike under £1000 so it seems the better option.
  • Cheers everyone. Think I'll go for the bossnut
  • cooldad wrote:
    For that, the Bossnut. Great trails, was up there earlier this year.

Can't see a size guide, just geometry.

Worth either getting to a shop or calling I suppose.

Is that based on a negative reason for the Boardman?

I guess I am looking for where the bossnut bests the Boardman and vice versa
  • cooldad
    Good bike for the price, but the Bossnut is a more up to date trail design. Longer, slacker.

Or what joshuagame94 said further up.

Worth a watch.

http://www.mbr.co.uk/news/cheap-bike-vs ... ike-365291
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I really need to make a decision but keep going back from one to the other :roll:
  • cooldad
    Toss a coin.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Is there a lot you can do on a full sus which you can't on a hard tail?
  • cooldad
    Depends on the bikes.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    While both modern trail bikes, they are subtley different, the Boardman has a slightly steeper head angle and shorter rear stays, it will become it the better climber of the two and it will also be a little more nimble, the bossnut (updated now with the geometry from the beastnut) will be the faster descender of the two and will plough through the rougher stuff a bit better.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • loudog
    loudog Posts: 136
    Go boss nut, had all the top reviews
    It matters not, win or lose, it's how you ride the bike
  • LouDog wrote:
    Go boss nut, had all the top reviews

It has but every review i have seen for the Boardman has been really good as well
  • cooldad
    So listen to what he said.
    The Rookie wrote:
    While both modern trail bikes, they are subtley different, the Boardman has a slightly steeper head angle and shorter rear stays, it will become it the better climber of the two and it will also be a little more nimble, the bossnut (updated now with the geometry from the beastnut) will be the faster descender of the two and will plough through the rougher stuff a bit better.

If you are planning more twisty singletrack, XC, or not too gnarly trails, get the Boardman.

If you want to do more serious trail centres and seriously steep rough stuff, the Calibre will be more suited.

But both will do either, both are decent bikes at good prices.

Only you can decide.

But any MTB is better than no MTB, and the longer you faff around, the less you can ride.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    So listen to what he said.
    The Rookie wrote:

If you are planning more twisty singletrack, XC, or not too gnarly trails, get the Boardman.

If you want to do more serious trail centres and seriously steep rough stuff, the Calibre will be more suited.

But both will do either, both are decent bikes at good prices.

Only you can decide.

But any MTB is better than no MTB, and the longer you faff around, the less you can ride.

I think this post has probably made my mind up. For starting off I doubt I will anywhere near seriously steep rough stuff so Boardman will probably be better for starting me off. Apologies for the indecisiveness but I just want to make sure I get it right. As you say only I can really decide however I appreciate the guidance
  • Just to throw a spanner in the works, CRC have this on offer at the moment:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-escarpe-suspension-bike-deore-2017/rp-prod146547?icn=week47_2017_vitusescarpe&icb=bspot2-c2-week47_2017_vitusescarpe

With the BC discount (including the £22 cost for membership) it comes out at £922, and the frame will be better than the boardman, you can gradually upgrade the parts and have a very good bike. The same frame is used on a £2200 bike.
  • TallPaul_S wrote:
    Just to throw a spanner in the works, CRC have this on offer at the moment:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/vitus-bikes-escarpe-suspension-bike-deore-2017/rp-prod146547?icn=week47_2017_vitusescarpe&icb=bspot2-c2-week47_2017_vitusescarpe

With the BC discount (including the £22 cost for membership) it comes out at £922, and the frame will be better than the boardman, you can gradually upgrade the parts and have a very good bike. The same frame is used on a £2200 bike.

Thanks for ruining my night dude :roll: :lol:
  • No worries :mrgreen:

You do get some nice upgrades over the boardman on the Vitus:

Through axle rear - will be stiffer than the 135mm QR on the boardman
    Monarch RT vs R - gives you an open/pedal compression switch along with the rebound damping, just rebound on the boardman
    Tyres are decent WTB ones
    Better brakes with 180mm rotors front and rear
    Internal dropper post routing

The travel and geometry are perfect for general singletrack trail riding, the sommet is their longer travel gnarlier biased FS bike, this will be great hacking round some twisty singletrack.

The head angle is slacker at 66.5 vs the 68.5 of the boardman, BUT the seat angle is steeper at 74.5 vs 73 - so not only shuld it descend better but it'll climb better too :D:mrgreen:
  • Need to make a decision this weekend. Still torn between the two. Have ordered a Boardman in to local halfords to have a sit on it. I can also get a Bossnut for £850 :?:
  • Good luck and let me know your decision, i'm also looking for a bike around £1000
  • chrissymk7 wrote:
    Good luck and let me know your decision, i'm also looking for a bike around £1000

Going for the Bossnut. Going to order it today. Getting 15% off it