Zwift price increase

markyone
markyone Posts: 1,119
Zwift price increase to £12.99 per month for new subscribers,if like myself it stays at £8 for a year then goes up after that year as i joined early into zwift starting.
Is it worth £12.99?
Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
Pinarello F8 with sram etap

Comments

• jp1970
    jp1970 Posts: 134
    Nope.. not at the current level of instability with joining group ride.

But having said that my pricing will stick to £8 for the next 12 months.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    If this goes ahead, how am I ever going to make Cat 2 racer? Will I always be stuck at Cat 3?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Not unless they can match TrainerRoad levels of plans. I’ve switched to TR recently and I’m very happy. Will stick to TR and Netflix for the time being.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    edited November 2017
    I have kept meaning to try Zwift, but think my laptop would not have been up to the job - not spending £156 extra for it now, so will stick just to TR, so in a way this makes my life simpler.

Wonder if TR will jack theirs up now, or whether their subscription numbers will increase substantially.

Also like the fact with TR you can simply suspend your membership, like if you go on holiday, but are unable to do that with Zwift I gather, you have to cancel and re-enrol.

TR and Eurosport player or bbc iplayer have served me well, so will continue with that if it ain't broke, and all that.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    As I havent spent over a grand on a fancy Zwift happy turbo trainer ( the ones that get you going faster in Zwift mode), the answer is no, it aint worth £13 a month basically.
    It's a great concept but it has a price point.
    I'm still in the group that has a year of the £8 per month left.
    However, the amount of turbo boosting going on in races is unbelievable so , I've converted all my Sufferfests to Zwift format.. and fairly happy...combined with actually getting out and about on the road, winter training is on plan.
    All the Zwift faux pros who kick off races at over 600 watts for 6 minutes can all go ..... ;-)
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    Yeah I’m currently trying out sufferfest but I might have given zwift a go in January just for a change. Not at £13 a month I’m not though.
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    I had decided to sign up today. Not any more.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    hmm a month of zwift ... or a bottle of wine a month.

yeah .... I get more fun out of zwift, I am still in
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    Still great value if you use it enough. £4 extra a month, I'll probably be on it for 30hours a month through the winter which will pay for itself in inner tubes I won't need to buy from riding in crap weather.
  • fat daddy
    edited November 2017
    changed my mind

Wednesday I rode alone in the group workout
    Yesterday I rode the group workout without the workoutp art
    Today I rode on Fulgaz because Zwift wouldn't let me in

Its not worth the current money due to issues its having !!!

i'd pay £12 a month for a reliable game though :D
  • It's quite a price hike for me - it's translate to over $20 AUD a month for the aussie users. A colleague has also agreed that he won't be continuing it once he gets hit with this newer pricing......i will use veloreality for my rides instead. Pity it was fun cycling on it but i think the developers have made a mistake on the pricing. It will polarise a lot of users - i can't see myself using it consistently at that price level so i won't be signing up.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    £5 is a large increase imo,we shall see how things go.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • fat daddy
    markyone wrote:

its not £5 increase though its £25 increase as you need to spen £20 a month on a standby riding game for when Zwift inevitably fails to log you in, or you cant join a ride etc etc etc
  • daniel_b
    It's quite a price hike for me - it's translate to over $20 AUD a month for the aussie users. A colleague has also agreed that he won't be continuing it once he gets hit with this newer pricing......i will use veloreality for my rides instead. Pity it was fun cycling on it but i think the developers have made a mistake on the pricing. It will polarise a lot of users - i can't see myself using it consistently at that price level so i won't be signing up.

I would tend to agree with you - I've watched a lot of videos about it, and was very excited to try it, but as mentioned I think it would have been a bit of a faff for me, as although I have a lovely large screen laptop, with 8gb of ram, it's an old machine, and I doubt the graphics would have been up to it.

I partly fancied trying it, as I do think i migth like to try some actual racing next year, probably on the velodrome, so thought it could at least give me some kind of taste as to what that would be like, but the pricing structure is just too inflexible for me, and I am now reading there are plenty of bugs in it, like some courses not being available on certain days, and people saying to change course they need to completely exit the app, and then log back in again?

If they bought out a way you could simply pay for a month at a time, or even a week I might be tempted to give it a go, but I can't be @rsed with cancellations, and having to check refunds come through etc etc

I've had a LOT of success with TR since Jan this year, and their technical support, as well as Nick on here, have been superb, so I feel I owe them a degree of loyalty - I've completed the full suite of courses, (Base to Speciality) and have just completed the first mid volume base again - sadly I have a cold at the mo, so am trying to maintain my fitness until I am better, and can do myself justice in an FTP - very frustrating.

TR with TV program, or Eurosport player (Which is still bargainous in itself) is a great mix for me - I have no problems watching something whilst carrying out a hard workout - it's in ERG mode, I have no choice!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    fat daddy wrote:
    markyone wrote:

its not £5 increase though its £25 increase as you need to spen £20 a month on a standby riding game for when Zwift inevitably fails to log you in, or you cant join a ride etc etc etc

according to their FB page, they ve server issues, code for havent invested in new tech as they ve grown, so i guess the price hike will lose some customers, keep their profit levels higher still and alleviate the tech limitations... win win! well, that ll be what they are hoping.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    It's a lot of money for what it is, isn't it? Graphics are hardly amazing (compare it to, eg Just Cause 2/3) and you ride essentially on rails - not a lot to code really.

I mean, you'd think that as subscriber numbers increased that they could afford to keep pricing the same wouldn't you?

For me, I'd be more likely to play if they sold a £3/4 day pass anyway. I do 10 hours of commuting on my bike a week, and will always prefer to actually get out on my bike - I only zwift if time and childcare prevents me getting out for actual social rides.

Dropping £13 for a month when I'm only likely to actually ride a couple of times makes no sense for me.
  • daniel_b
    I wonder if any competitors have anything in the pipeline to rival Zwift?

If someone could get the whole package right, for it to be reliable, have better graphics, and far more courses, I expect they would dominate the market - and could probably charge the same as this if not more. Can't be long surely?

They have a pretty big market out there (What with the number of people with trainers now), not like it's a whole new innovation they have to sell.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fat daddy
    Daniel B wrote:

road grand tours for famous rides people want to do
    Bkool for racing and rides and stuff

both are not witout their issues ... although in the fairness to RGT it is in Beta
  • daniel_b
    fat daddy wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

road grand tours for famous rides people want to do
    Bkool for racing and rides and stuff

both are not witout their issues ... although in the fairness to RGT it is in Beta

Had not seen RGT at all - just tried to register for the Beta, see if they will offer me an account or not - looks interesting potentially.
    Am I right in thinking that Zwift only has 4-5 different routes? That also put me off.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • fat daddy
    Daniel B wrote:
    Had not seen RGT at all - just tried to register for the Beta, see if they will offer me an account or not - looks interesting potentially.
    Am I right in thinking that Zwift only has 4-5 different routes? That also put me off.

RGT does bulk activation so you will get access sometime between now and next month depending on when they set the accounts up.

Zwft has 3 locales Watopia, London and Richmond that are played depending on the calendar ..... within each locale there are various different loops you can ride and pin together ... it can take you a few hours to get round Watopia . But due to the amount of people riding it doesnt actually get dull as there are always people to interact with. Even if you dont want to race having someone just up the road does make you push harder to catch them up .. its like commuting .. then there is the whole workout, group workout, racing and group rides to do. I have no issues paying the new price IF they sort the reliability out quick !
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I'm a new Zwifter and I'm enjoying it.
    I have done TR in the past and their plans were excellent - but you have to have the mindset to work with it.

In contrast Zwift takes your mind off things and it really does resemble an outdoor ride.

I do think Zwift was underpriced anyway - I wonder if they've put the prices up to give themselves a year to adapt to the influx of riders ? I'd heard they were struggling to cope of late. This seems like a strategy to avoid that.

In a years time when I have to pay the increase there may be other programs out there anyway = so I'll not worry about that.

As to there being only a few courses currently - they always want them to feel busy - riding on a deserted road isnt really the point of Zwift - its the jumping onto wheels of real riders - so thats why they restrict the options.

I think they have plans to recreate the key points of L'etape each year soon though - the president of ASO is a keen Zwifter apparently.
  • johand
    johand Posts: 16
    fat daddy wrote:
    as there are always people to interact with.
    Always wondered what "interaction" means here...
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    :( I had been thinking about swapping to Zwift as my 1st year of bkool simulator comes to an end - they were the same price and it looks like I need a new laptop/ipad or something anyway.

Bkool has options way over zwift - and you can ride to video too - but having so many options does limit the number of riders on a circuit. That said - they're pushing more group rides via their facebook feeds atm.
    Problem I have with group rides is that I'm never there at hte time they start - I've got a busy schedule that involves a squiddle who has his own timetable - which he generally doesn't let you know till after the event ;)

but - sounds like I'm going to stick with Bkool for now - Zwift looks "fun" because of all the other riders - but in reality - I'm there to work on specifics - which is far better served with a targetted session rather going around chasing virtual riders.
  • fat daddy
    johand wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    as there are always people to interact with.
    Always wondered what "interaction" means here...

It can mean, race, work with, ride with, chat to, try to catch up and over take, try not to get overtaken by.

Its not like a bot that does its thing, being another person means your presence in the game at the point of meeting them can inevitably change the way they ride towards you.

Even if they do nothing differently as they are following a planned workout, the interaction of coming across that rider and being able to ease off for a bit whilst using the draft for a minute to catch your breath before pressing on.

Or they come past you (as more often happens with me) and you can jump on there wheel and get a tow for a while before running out of steam and loosing the draft
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    A 50% price increase but for what??
    I thought £8 a month was just about acceptable but whilst £4 doesn't sound much more for what you get i think it is now overpriced.
  • johand
    johand Posts: 16
    fat daddy wrote:
    It can mean, race, work with, ride with, chat to,...
    Is that a chat with a headset (mic and speakers) or typing messages?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    i think most people use keyboards. I've seen chat mentioned - but tbh I'm focused on not getting dropped rather than typing.

If you have mates on Zwift then you could chat quite happily over headsets.
  • daniel_b
    fat daddy wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

RGT does bulk activation so you will get access sometime between now and next month depending on when they set the accounts up.

Zwft has 3 locales Watopia, London and Richmond that are played depending on the calendar ..... within each locale there are various different loops you can ride and pin together ... it can take you a few hours to get round Watopia . But due to the amount of people riding it doesnt actually get dull as there are always people to interact with. Even if you dont want to race having someone just up the road does make you push harder to catch them up .. its like commuting .. then there is the whole workout, group workout, racing and group rides to do. I have no issues paying the new price IF they sort the reliability out quick !

Thanks FD - liking the look of RGT a lot, looks like it has a lot of potential.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rabk
    rabk Posts: 182
    Daniel B wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Yup me too - like the look of RGT - signed up and awaiting a code 8)
  • daniel_b
    Rabk wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    fat daddy wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:

Yup me too - like the look of RGT - signed up and awaiting a code 8)

Perhaps I will see you on there then Rab, guess I will recognise you by your string vest kit :-)
    I'll be the one in black and yellow or green and yellow - assuming you can spec kit colour of course.......
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18