Seeking Suggestions for Riding/Racing Abroad

brogliee
brogliee Posts: 3
edited November 2017 in Amateur race
Hey all!
I am a UK 2nd Cat looking to go abroad (in Europe) for a couple of weeks with my bike at the end of June. However I am undecided where to go. I really want somewhere where I can do a road race or two. I'm not terribly interested in Belgian Kermesses personally but would rather something hally/mountainous. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of places with good amateur racing and good hills (and nice weather but this shouldn't be too much of an issue) and even more usefully any links to websites with information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks In advance :)

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Italy and then do an quick search the google machine for clubs in the area you want to go to. Incredibly friendly, fantastic food, women, ice cream, riding, etc etc.

The standard of racing is a lot higher than the Uk though, so if you are cat 2 then go for cat 3 or 4.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Bear in mind that in amateur racing - even in hilly areas - they are still not going to be sending you up every hill on the local map. The circuits have to tick a lot of boxes, so while some may be more hilly than others you still probably aren't going to be riding/racing up 30min alpine climbs like you see on the major tours.

Having said that, there are a lot of good things said about Girona/Catalunya as a base for racing - here's a link to a blog post from last year from an Irish guy who went over to race there..

http://www.stickybottle.com/latest-news ... -in-spain/
  • Thanks guys. Yeah I'm aware it won't be 30 minute alpine stuff. I'm kind of basing it off a couple of races I did in the Basque Country when I was a junior where we scaled stuff bigger than I could find at home, definitely the most fun race I've done to date, didn't have strava at the time (or at least not recording races) so can't recall any stats.
    Someone mentioned Girona the other day. Although I do like the idea of Italy :P