Time for a Full sus to complete the collection!!

rollingbacktheyears!
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi Guys,

Been struggling with this for a little while now so have decided to put it out to the world for some advice.

I am looking to compliment my 2016 Whyte 905 with a full sus for a little bit of extra comfort when I decide I am 15 again and descend down something steep and rocky!!

Been extremely happy with my 905 and is quite simply the best bike i have ever had so have been looking at the Whyte t-130 range. Don't really need anything more than this due to the amount and type of riding (Exploring the New Forest and some occasional single track when i can find it) hence looking at the 130mm travel range. Rode one on a test day and it was great if a little cramped, but nothing a slightly longer stem cannot fix. However i like the idea of having an option so have been looking around for alternatives.

So here is the question. Which do people recommend out of the following for a general purpose trail/XC bike?

WHYTE 1-130SR
Giant Anthem 2

Thanks in advance for the time to read and possibly respond

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Anthem .... it was No.2 on my list.
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Jeffsy, more for your money.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Anthem or maybe Anthem SX
    I've had an Anthem and would love another for xc and trail
  • JGTR wrote:

Had a look at the Jeffsy and they all seem to 150mm travel which is a complete overkill. Do they do a shorter travel version?
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    Another vote here for an Anthem.
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    JGTR wrote:

Had a look at the Jeffsy and they all seem to 150mm travel which is a complete overkill. Do they do a shorter travel version?

They are 140mm, specifically designed for what you are after.

I personally wouldn’t recommend a Bird, they are for more aggressive riding and need to be ridden hard to get the most out of them.

I’ve spent 2 days at Swinley on the T130 then the Bird. T130 was more fun, Bird was faster. Ended up with. Jeffsy though, wel happy.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    good deals on transition scouts at the moment
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    POAH wrote:
    good deals on transition scouts at the moment

The Scout is an awesome bike but for the riding the OP does the Anthem is better.
    The Scout is really at its best on flowing jump lines and enduro. It's not so great on flatter single track or climbs. I wish I had one for the local bike park though.
  • Thanks to all for the comments.

I have decided to go with the Anthem and managed to find a 2017 Anthem 2 for £1,799 so as soon as my redundancy money comes in i'll be hitting the order button!