Bike computer won't show speed despite spending an hour tweaking the thing!

rowanharley
rowanharley Posts: 76
edited November 2017 in Workshop
I've been trying to fix up my bike computer to get it to show the speed. It was barely used on an older bike so I decided to stick it on my racer. Despite trying it on the front and back wheels, moving the magnet and moving the speed sensor, the only visual sign that something worked was the fact that the time went to 5 seconds (something which only happens when the wheel is moving). I don't know how I got those numbers because a Max/average speed never registered. Ive attached pictures of the current placement of everything in case it's any help. The bike computer is called "Pro cycle f20". Ive lost the instructions for it and couldn't find any online so I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
https://imgur.com/a/8pTij

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Move the sensor closer to the magnet...
  • Imposter wrote:
    Move the sensor closer to the magnet...

Tryed that but still no reading
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    New batteries.
  • Webboo wrote:
    New batteries.

Tried as well
  • will need to set your tyre circumference? if it set at one extreme or the other it wont read the speed.

are there any buttons on it, 1 should be able to cycle through a menu

the magnet should be almost touching the sensor like 2mm gap between the 2
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    Does the computer slide onto a mounting? If so, the contacts on the computer/mount might be corroded or dirty and need a clean to ensure a good signal from the sensor.
    It's possible the sensor wire might have snapped or become unsoldered.
  • will need to set your tyre circumference? if it set at one extreme or the other it wont read the speed.

are there any buttons on it, 1 should be able to cycle through a menu

the magnet should be almost touching the sensor like 2mm gap between the 2

The Tyre circumference is see correctly. There are 2 buttons, one right and one left. I also tryed placing the sensor closer but got no speed
  • jermas wrote:
    Does the computer slide onto a mounting? If so, the contacts on the computer/mount might be corroded or dirty and need a clean to ensure a good signal from the sensor.
    It's possible the sensor wire might have snapped or become unsoldered.

It slides in so I'll give it a try. I haven't seen any snaps on the wire but would I see it anyways?
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can you take the magnet off and pass it over the sensor ? Any magnet works. Maybe even try a different magnet - but I think it's probably a cable or joint problem.
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Hard to tell from the photo but is the wheel magnet passing over the proper part of the sensor. Sensors usually have one spot of the length that will pickup the magnet.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    One of those:

http://www.lidl-service.com/static/4090 ... _IE_DA.pdf

I'd spend a tenner and get a new one.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Spend a bit more and get a GPS one!
  • Update: I tryed running the magnet over the sensor without the wheel and got no reading but I'd like to also point out that after going for a 20 min cycle, It showed an average speed of 3.9, a Max of 21.9, a distance of 124 meters and a time of 1:58. This speedometer is only going to be used till Christmas or possibly a bit after black Friday, but I'd like to be able to see my speed till then
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    I would not be wasting any more time on this - just bin it and buy something else. Those old computers can be had practically for pennies these days...
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 on that.

I'm sure you can get a cheap one on eBay for next to nothing.