Dream bike in 26 or 650b?

sidekicksjn
sidekicksjn Posts: 611
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
I have about 1500 to spend and am looking at yeti sb66 carbon 2014. Is this a mistake or should I go for a 650b? Mainly used for enduro use but wat something I can peddle up as well. Was also looking a Capras, dunes and maybe a tracer t275. Any input would be much apretiated.

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    Go 29 unless you are short in height
  • Not interested in a 29. Too bing. Also Not since a lad we we're messing about with folded his in half. Don't seem strong enough.
  • Not interested in a 29. Too bing. Also Not since a lad we we're messing about with folded his in half. Don't seem strong enough.

Then it’s a 27.5/650b since 26inch already has a reduced range of tyres which will only get worse!

Since there are Big enduro 29ers I’m not convinced they are weaker, but as ever it’s about want than need etc.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bing? Yep you don't want a bing bike...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Was meant to say big obviously.

Then it’s a 27.5/650b since 26inch already has a reduced range of tyres which will only get worse!

Since there are Big enduro 29ers I’m not convinced they are weaker, but as ever it’s about want than need etc.

Yeah I think I'm just not convinced by them. Also have always liked to throw my bikes around a bit which would be harder with a 29er.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Easier with many 29ers than a Capra!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Capra steers and climbs like a tank. Most overrated bike I've ever riden.
    These days 29ers steer as well as bikes with smaller wheels and strength isn't an issue. Having said that, at your budget you won't get the latest 29er enduro bikes.
    I'd also avoid the Intense Tracer if you like bikes which are straight. Hand built with pride in the USA basically means thrown together badly and overpriced.
    I'd go for something like a Transition Scout. Best bike I've ever ridden. Don't let the short travel suspension put you off, it's a real hardcore endure bike. I had an awesome time on one in the alps.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Capra steers and climbs like a tank. Most overrated bike I've ever riden.
    I have two experienced (and much better) riding friends who have had Capra's, the first bought it as a frame, built it up and rode it about 5 times before selling it, the other likes it for a very few rides but hates it for most others (he has a fleet of 7 though, so not too much of an issue), his comments would be a bit along the lines of, doesn't like sprinting, don't bother trying, doesn't like climbing, just winch yourself up, it jumps OK in straight line only. What he like sit for is its ability, when pointing downhill, to just plough through stuff an Enduro wouldn't be keen on without quite as many compromises as a full on DH bike.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    02GF74 wrote:
    Go 29 unless you are heterosexual

wise words
  • poah
    Not interested in a 29. Too bing. Also Not since a lad we we're messing about with folded his in half. Don't seem strong enough.

do you always talk this much bollox or is it just related to cycling?
  • I brought the yeti. It's awesome!
  • poah
    I brought the yeti. It's awesome!

where did you bring it from?
  • You will find the 650b wheel an advantage as they roll faster. A lot of people say 26 ain’t dead which is true but in terms of available parts and tryres in the future 650b I feel is the best option
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    As he bought the Yeti, I don't think he cares.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools