Vittoria Pista G+ rolling direction?

monkeyfcuker
monkeyfcuker Posts: 486
edited November 2017 in Track
Just got a pair of these tyres and I’ve now completely over thought the rolling direction and can’t decide which way to put them on, no sign of any directional arrows on the tyre and the instructions supplied are generic clincher mounting ones...

Help :lol:
Modern, asymmetric tread design for the best speed and grip in the riding direction

26635501419_6f269ce419_o_d.jpg

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Are they saying the tread is more on one side then ? You'll not be getting that much wear on the left hand side of the tyre compared to the right ?
  • It’s difficult to tell from my photo but you can just about make it out, there’s tread on one side of the tyre and not the other.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Surely you'd want that on the right hand side of the bike then ?
  • You’d think eh? ...maybe... Anyway, that’s how I’ve mounted it :?

Ropey pic of it on the rim,

38418726151_7682091df2_o_d.jpg
  • Why is there any tread at all? Are you going to ride in a particularly wet velodrome? Is it about saving 1g of rubber weight by creating some grooves?
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • ???

I’m sure Vittoria could answer, I just chose ‘em ‘cos I love Corsa’s.
  • carl69
    carl69 Posts: 31
    The grooves go on the drive side, the idea being to give better grip on the side that is more in contact with the steep banking. Fitted some myself recently-initial impressions are very good. Indoor Velodrome use.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Seems counter-intuitive. Can't see how grooves/tread would give 'better grip' than a slick on a velodrome surface. Probably just more marketing...
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,515
    ^^^ yeah

i'd go with slick on the ds, there's nothing for grooves to do on a smooth surface except maybe squirm and waste a tiny bit of energy
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    A gimmick to differentiate the ''Pista'' version from other G+ overpriced offerings.
  • VamP
    VamP Posts: 674
    VamP wrote:
    A gimmick to differentiate the ''Pista'' version from other G+ overpriced offerings.

Edited: to say their tubular version seems to dispense with the grooves.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Seems counter-intuitive. Can't see how grooves/tread would give 'better grip' than a slick on a velodrome surface. Probably just more marketing...

That. You're not going to generate more grip with a load of grooves that move around as you put more pressure on them. Complete bo11ocks.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Modern, asymmetric tread design for the best speed and grip in the riding direction
    It's the mark of a good track tire, that your bicycle does not attain very much speed in any direction other than that in which you're riding.