Anyone planning a ski or snowboard trip this winter?

kingstonian
kingstonian Posts: 2,847
edited February 2019 in The cake stop
After too many years away from the slopes, I’ve got a week in late January booked in Austria (Zell am See). Just my brother and I going, no wife or kids !!!!! Can’t wait, just love blasting around in the white stuff.

Where are you going?

Comments

• Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,478
    Just planning a boys trip now - its an annual event :) My skiing is better than my cycling so pity it's only a once a year job.

We usually stick to the big resorts (more often than not France) where there's some challenging skiing and a bit of life in the apres ski. Not yet decided on resort but I chucked Meribel and Verbier on the table with some possible dates and am waiting for the reaction of the usual suspects.

Likewise can't wait - helps get you through winter.
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstonian
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Just planning a boys trip now - its an annual event :) My skiing is better than my cycling so pity it's only a once a year job.

We usually stick to the big resorts (more often than not France) where there's some challenging skiing and a bit of life in the apres ski. Not yet decided on resort but I chucked Meribel and Verbier on the table with some possible dates and am waiting for the reaction of the usual suspects.

Likewise can't wait - helps get you through winter.

I usually go to France, but we decided on trying somewhere different this time, hence Austria.

Am hoping this becomes an annual event, I really miss not being in the mountains at least once each winter.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    We went to Austria earlier this year - Obergurgl - and loved it. Superb snow.

La Rosiere in Jan this time, will probably spend plenty of time over in Italy for better lunches and proper coffee! Chucking it down this weekend so hopefully will be a good winter.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    A customer in Milan posted a picture of snow in the mountains this weekend. Looked like a good covering.
    Nothin planned, haven't been for years but I've got the urge. As I'm 50 next year maybe I should spoil myself.
  • Stevo_666
    That reminds me, must check the snow reports.

The problem for anyone who hasn't been for a long time is that skiing is very addictive so it won't just a case of going the once and the leaving it for another decade or so. That, and kicking yourself for all the seasons that you missed :)
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • kingstonian
    There was a big dump of snow a couple of weeks ago, and another one happening right now. Some of the resort snow condition reports are misleading as the resorts haven’t opened yet, they’ll be more accurate in a month’s time
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,864
    There's even a decent covering at low levels (1400m) in Vercors, but no action yet, it seems. I'll be in the area in February, but probably not following up on my one attempt at nordic skiing. I'll stay on the bike instead.

fontdurle.png
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,388
    3 more weeks and I'm out for the season :P
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • Vaujany for me this year, with 4 kids. Wish me luck. It was a 'cheap week' apparently. But it's cost a fortune.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • Big dump in Chamonix overnight, still another month or so to go! Fingers crossed. If it was an option, skiing would be the number one sport, with the bikes a distant second. And I love cycling as well.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    There's even a decent covering at low levels (1400m) in Vercors, but no action yet, it seems. I'll be in the area in February, but probably not following up on my one attempt at nordic skiing. I'll stay on the bike instead.

I would urge you to reconsider that decision. After a few hours trying to ski at Aviemore when I was 26 I decided skiing was not for me. 15 years later my wife told me she was taking the kids skiing,with or without me,so I reluctantly agreed to go. I loved every minute of it and could not wait to go again. Since then I have had about 30 ski holidays. Unfortunately my wife's skiing days are over but I am hoping to go again .I am old enough to get free ski passes now!
    If you like flying down hills on a bike you will love flying down a mountain on skis.
    It is worth going to the top of the Alps just to sit in the bright sunshine, have a drink outside a cafe and look down at the clouds. If I was told I would die in 10min but I could be magically transported to spend those last minutes anywhere in the world, that is where I would choose to go.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,300
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    The problem for anyone who hasn't been for a long time is that skiing is very addictive so it won't just a case of going the once and the leaving it for another decade or so. That, and kicking yourself for all the seasons that you missed :)
    It may sound daft but that's one of the reasons I haven't tried too hard to go. On the odd day that I've managed I just wanted to do more.
    Saying that I might try to get to Italy and do a day on cross country skis repeating a trip we did when I was in my teens. We went to the top of the lifts somewhere near Passo Rolle then carried on up the mountain. Once we got to the top we went over and into a half bowl at the top of a valley, untouched pure virgin snow all the way round. We skied round the top and then on down the valley. Stopped for sandwiches at lunchtime and eventually met up with my aunt who drove us all back to where we were staying. Didn't see another soul all the way down the valley. Cross country skiing on trails is boring, this was incredible. Not the rush of downhill skiing but a great day out.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    narbs wrote:

La Rosiere in Jan this time, will probably spend plenty of time over in Italy for better lunches and proper coffee! Chucking it down this weekend so hopefully will be a good winter.

La Plagne for us at the end of Jan.

Was in La Ros about 6 years ago. It was a bumper season and the skiing was great. La Ros is quite a small village compared to some but there's plenty of choice. The skiing is really good. If you have a good forecast day then head to La Thuille. The experience of getting there and back is fun and the skiing in La Thuille is also very good. Just make sure the forecast is good and you get back to the lifts/tows on time. It's an expensive taxi ride via the Mont Blanc tunnel.

I've also had two road cycling trips whilst based in La Ros. It's more of less shut in Jun/July. The cycling is great though.
  • narbs
    narbs Posts: 593
    Navrig2 wrote:
    narbs wrote:

La Plagne for us at the end of Jan.

Was in La Ros about 6 years ago. It was a bumper season and the skiing was great. La Ros is quite a small village compared to some but there's plenty of choice. The skiing is really good. If you have a good forecast day then head to La Thuille. The experience of getting there and back is fun and the skiing in La Thuille is also very good. Just make sure the forecast is good and you get back to the lifts/tows on time. It's an expensive taxi ride via the Mont Blanc tunnel.

I've also had two road cycling trips whilst based in La Ros. It's more of less shut in Jun/July. The cycling is great though.

Yeah, the race to make it back from Italy has been close a couple of times! This will be our third trip to La Ros, really like it - as you say, fun over to Italy and plenty of easily accessible off-piste.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    AK in April
    Europe in Jan/Feb, probably Cham or La Grave, all depends on snow dump.

and Stevo, that isn't saying much
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Yes, we're off to Megeve in February for a fortnight, 6 of us in a private chalet with a hot tub on the decking overlooking the mountains.

Definitely can't wait and got a new jacket, sallopets and a helmet yesterday. And a bobble hat but that was because it was freezing in Manchester.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • It's also way way worse/better than cycling for toys...........

If anyone's after googles I will have a SunGod discount code around the 20th November. 20%.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    It's also way way worse/better than cycling for toys...........

If anyone's after googles I will have a SunGod discount code around the 20th November. 20%.

I've resisted the new ski toys since getting back into it 6 years ago, after 17 years no skiing. So far a cheap jacket and jeans (Tog24), decent gloves, a helmet, some base layers (shared with cycling), goggles and that is about it. I hire skis/boots each year. Otherwise I spend on the holidays. My skiing will improve with holidays not better kit. ;-)
  • I hire too
  • wiznaeme
    wiznaeme Posts: 238
    Annual trip is at the end of February. There are six blokes going and this year we fly to Geneva and want to go somewhere with fairly challenging runs and busy pubs all within a 90 minute drive from Geneva. Chamonix is the usual first choice for some of us but one or two don't like the spread out nature of the lift system. Any suggestions where to go ?
  • Stevo_666
    WiznaeMe wrote:
    Annual trip is at the end of February. There are six blokes going and this year we fly to Geneva and want to go somewhere with fairly challenging runs and busy pubs all within a 90 minute drive from Geneva. Chamonix is the usual first choice for some of us but one or two don't like the spread out nature of the lift system. Any suggestions where to go ?
    You're a bit restricted by the 90 minutes travel thing, but Morzine-Avoriaz is not a bad option. Morzine probably the better place to stay for apres ski.
  • Stevo_666
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    It may sound daft but that's one of the reasons I haven't tried too hard to go. On the odd day that I've managed I just wanted to do more.
    Even so - go on, go on, go on...too good to miss.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    WiznaeMe wrote:
    Fly to Chambery instead you are about 1-1/2 hours from Meribel in the 3 valleys,decent night life if you get the 3 valleys pass more runs than you can point a stick at.you get Meribel Val Thorens and Courchevel to go at,I have been to this area 4/5 times

I stopped going as bit of an injury in my achilles that snowboarding seems aggravate no end,shame as I surf and love being in powder as It feels very simular,the last few years i went the snow was pretty poor as well,did a full winter season in Wanaka in NZ 1999 so many days on the mountain and able to rest a bit when the snow was poor
  • Flâneur
    WiznaeMe wrote:

Up it to two hours and hit Verbier
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Flâneur wrote:
    AK in April

Just spotted your post Flan - how do you mean?
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    WiznaeMe wrote:

Portes Du Soliel area Morzine and Les Gets has a large area Morzine is the bigger town,and a bit more central,I have a few friends that have been and like it there,they have stopped in Avoriaz
    It's about the same distance from Geneva as Chamonix
  • Flâneur
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:
    AK in April

ski skills being better than bike skills... was nothing huggy and lovely, that wouldn't be in keeping with the forum
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • Stevo_666
    Flâneur wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Flâneur wrote:
    AK in April

ski skills being better than bike skills... was nothing huggy and lovely, that wouldn't be in keeping with the forum
    Welcome back, git :D
  • Off to Stubai Glacier next week and in Easter 18 for a week. Excellent mountain and Neustift village is very friendly
  • Booked our ferries last night! Getting excited now
    Advocate of disc brakes.