Tyre Booting - Pinching Inner Tube

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited November 2017 in Workshop
Hi.

I've got a GPS4000II tyre that got a large flint or similar through after only 100 miles resulting in two 5mm long cuts across the tyre. Running the tyre at 90PSI the inner tube can be seen to be pushing through the gap, so I've tried to boot it : I really don't want to throw the tyre away, so have tried to boot it twice now, but the boot has worn through the inner tyre. How do you stop this, other than throwing the tyre away?

I've tried :
one of those emergency park tool boots, but that wore through really quickly
a piece of old GP4000S tyre cut to size, with the beading cut off, and sanded down so no sharp edges left.

I've tried covering it in a piece of gaffer tape & some nylon repair tape, but neither have worked for long.

Any ideas? I really don't want to throw a £35 tire in the bin..

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I had the same dilemma; something sliced the sidewall of a virtually brand new Pro4SC. Tried all manner of ways of booting to try and get some wear out of it, but they all just wore holes in the inner tube pretty quickly. In the end I suppressed my inner Yorkshireman and just cut the bloody thing up and replaced it with the Endurance version.

Yet to be seen if that lasts any longer; back on the winter bike with GP4 Seasons now.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Whichever way you look at it the tyre is borked and is destined for the bin. I wouldn't fancy relying on a split tyre keeping me out of danger at anything more than walking pace in a straight line.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Write it off. It's not worth the hassle. Especially in winter.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Strange - I've run tyres with boots for many 000s of miles and never had an issue with the tube abrading on the repair. Duck tape works fine in my experience, as does the Park Tools boot.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I thought the Park Tools boot looked inocuous enough for continued use despite their warnings that it's only a temporary fix. Sure enough, the next puncture revealed a linear abrasion consistent with one edge of the boot. Ditto a substatial rubber patch, a section of old tyre sidewall, even a bit of robust emery cloth glued in. Have to admit I never tried duct tape...

I just assumed it was some kind of divine being trying to tell me my neck was worth more than thirty quid...
  • I've used a tubeless tyre repair patch before now. I think it was a velox one, and it worked a treat.

Pity you can't set those canvas repair patches any more - the ones that used to come in puncture outfits.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    CiB wrote:
    Whichever way you look at it the tyre is borked and is destined for the bin. I wouldn't fancy relying on a split tyre keeping me out of danger at anything more than walking pace in a straight line.

This every time.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Run it tubeless?
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    figbat wrote:
    Run it tubeless?

IIRC they won't, the walls are too porous.
    How about a regular puncture patch glued on
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    Try a new £5 note.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo