Frame too big?

thecyclingguy
thecyclingguy Posts: 17
edited November 2017 in Road beginners
Hi, currently using a size 53 of my Polygon Helios F1 (comes with flat bars). I’m about 5’6”. So far with the flat bars it seems like a perfect fit but I’m planning to get drop bars with a 80-90mm reach. Will doing so cause me to stretch a little too far forward?

Comments

• Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    What size stem are you running?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Using a 100mm stem
  • I’m same height and have a few 53cm Bianchi’s . I run a 90mm stem with 3T aeronovo bars which have a shallow drop . Fits me perfectly. But that’s me. Chances are even for the same height, your torso and leg length are different than mine and it will effect your riding position so best to sit on a bike and judge it there.
  • Matthewfalle
    100mm stem is cool as it you enough room to play around - you can go shorter stem to bring it all in tighter.

Not sure how the geometry of the bike might change when going from flats to drops though.

Not worth getting a drop barred specific frame and just swapping all the parts over?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    It's not often an easy swap, but it can be done. If the frame was designed as a flat bar bike you may need a much shorter stem to avoid over reaching on drop bars. But the usual complicating factor is the shifters. Flat bar shifters will look odd on drop bars wherever you put them, and swapping in road STIs is an expensive job.
  • Matthewfalle
    keef66 wrote:
    It's not often an easy swap, but it can be done. If the frame was designed as a flat bar bike you may need a much shorter stem to avoid over reaching on drop bars. But the usual complicating factor is the shifters. Flat bar shifters will look odd on drop bars wherever you put them, and swapping in road STIs is an expensive job.

This is very valid as well however as the dude is using 1x8 at least he only has to source 1 and a brake, but sometimes that is more hassle and works out just asexpensive as buying 2 brifters.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • regarding the shifters i was thinking of getting the shimano claris r2000 2x8 shifters. it’s about $130 for it and an additional $40+ for drop bars
  • Matthewfalle
    That's not too bad a price - internet or local shop? I'm presuming you're quoting S$ not us$ internet price?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • shewy
    shewy Posts: 62
    doing a conversion myself, going from 100mm stem down to 50mm, on a 50cm frame though as I have little hobbit legs
  • That's not too bad a price - internet or local shop? I'm presuming you're quoting S$ not us$ internet price?

It’s in S$. I saw the shifters on Bikeinn and the price seemed to be quite low (exc shipping). (sounds a little too good to be true actually.) Has anyone else ordered from Bikeinn? Is it a trusted online bike store?
  • Matthewfalle
    shewy wrote:
    doing a conversion myself, going from 100mm stem down to 50mm, on a 50cm frame though as I have little hobbit legs

100 to 50? Blimey - that's a tad drastic.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.