Is this frame too risky to buy?

roberthmr
roberthmr Posts: 4
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hello everyone! I found this Canyon Nerve 120 frame online for $70 and I think it is a steal. It has a problem on the Top Tube and I am concerned if whether it would be too risky for a 77kgs (169lbs) rider or not. Any tips? I am mostly an XC rider and I am not doing any sort of outta-this-world jumps.
Thank you!

Pictures of the frame: https://imgur.com/a/UcMZs

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Neither would I.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I've had a dented top tube on my cross bike for years with no problems but it's nothing Like that.

Avoid.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As above, avoid for me.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • slc123
    slc123 Posts: 407
    I wouldn’t be comfortable with that either. Avoid
    Cannondale Trail 27.5 | 2015
    Titus El Chulo 27.5 | 2017
    Trek Slash 9 27.5 | 2015 (building)
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    It’s worth it for the rear triangle ... but then you would need to find another gram with s trashed rear to mate the front and back.

Ultimately the frame is trashed and priced on the rear section alone
  • Despite all of your negative answers, I decided to buy the frame. I personally think it is worth the shot. Even if it will brake, it only costs $70.

Thank you for all your replies!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I hope you have medical insurance.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    roberthmr wrote:
    Despite all of your negative answers, I decided to buy the frame. I personally think it is worth the shot. Even if it will brake, it only costs $70.

Thank you for all your replies!

So why did you bother asking? :?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    JBA wrote:

Just to see what other people say?
    Looks to be aluminium frame with a crease type dent. It's difficult to say if it is structural that will lead to failure, only way to tell is to ride it (I'm not volunteering BTW)

It could be pulled out by glueing a bolt and then use a bar along the top tube use a nut to pull the dent out.

Certainly do not the hide it with filler as that may hide cracks developing underneath - you need to keep an eye on it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    To each his own. Not like it's anything special, and no shock.

ps. It's break.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, it may brake (good) before it breaks (bad).
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie wrote:
    I hope you have medical insurance.
    Even if it'll break and I'll fall, it won't be my first tumble. Think I'll be fine.
    02GF74 wrote:
    JBA wrote:

Just to see what other people say?
    Looks to be aluminium frame with a crease type dent. It's difficult to say if it is structural that will lead to failure, only way to tell is to ride it (I'm not volunteering BTW)

It could be pulled out by glueing a bolt and then use a bar along the top tube use a nut to pull the dent out.

Certainly do not the hide it with filler as that may hide cracks developing underneath - you need to keep an eye on it.
    Thank you for your pieces of advice, especially for advising me not to try to hide it! :)