what bike on turbo trainer

shiznit76
shiznit76 Posts: 640
Just out of curiosity, what bike to you folks use on your turbo trainers, your summer bike, or a dedicated bike just for the turbo?

Comments

• wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 1,001
    I have one bike. It goes on the trainer and road. A dedicated turbo trainer bike seems a bit like overkill to me.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    Currently I use my Summer bike as I've been building my winter bike up.

From now on I'll only be using the winter bike on it (it's aluminium instead of carbon)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Generally, I use the summer bike (carbon) on the rollers and the winter bike (aluminium) on the turbo (wheel off/direct drive). The summer bike has a power meter fitted to it and the turbos have inbuilt power meters, so it makes sense to use the winter trainer on them.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    I passed a major birthday a few years ago and was able relegate my winter bike to the turbo. I would have got buttons for it 2nd hand. Other than keeping the pressure in the tyres the maintenance is negligible.
  • is there an issue with using Carbon frames on turbos?
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    currently summer bike as I ride the winter bike ..... but come the summer, the winter bike will be on it and the summer bike on the road

so basically what ever I am not using
  • navrig2
    shiznit76 wrote:
    is there an issue with using Carbon frames on turbos?

Depends who you ask?

Some manufacturers specifically say don't do it, others are silent.

I think loads of people use them, including the pros.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    My race bike (carbon) as that's got my power meter on and why not train on what you race with.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Navrig2 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

Depends who you ask?

including the pros - does this matter?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    i used to use a dedicated turbo bike that was just a bike from the dump shorn of all brakes and bits you didn't need as it was only on a turbo - downtube shifters, that sort of thing.

that broke so I smashed it with a hammer and threw it in next doors garden.

i now have the summer crit bike on there with an old wheel and old normal tyre as there is absoloutely no need for a "turbo specific tyre".

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Navrig2 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

Depends who you ask?

Think the poster just emphasising that it is now just ordinary Joe with one bike has to train this way
  • Covered a lot....... I wouldn't put 1500 miles over winter on some GP4000 SII's, but on occassion, why not? Any bike that fits.

Lots and lots of videos of pros warming up. And their warmup is probably at watts that is 2-3x the stress average people doing this will exert on the bike strapped to a trainer.

I don't have room for a "turbo" bike and a road bike and and and and........

Just buy a $50 used rear wheel with a spare cassette and put a cheap tire on it to throw on for the trainer if concerned about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wN2nZAlSg2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIfKmwLhdxw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xt2e32M-RPw
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    My roubaix having done 25k has been semi retired and is sitting minus its back wheel on the Tacx Flux. Where it does its job beautifully...
  • navrig2
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

Depends who you ask?

Think the poster just emphasising that it is now just ordinary Joe with one bike has to train this way

That and the fact that a Pro will put any bike through its paces on a turbo.
  • If I get around to buying a turbo, I'd be inclined to buy something like a Voodoo Marasa to use on it. If I had experience in building bikes, I'd hunt somewhere like PX for a frameset bargain.

The Cube would need a turbo-friendly axle, which can be had at Amazon for ~£30, but IIRC Cube won't deal with frame warranties when they are used on a turbo.

But the bargain-priced Marasa uses cheap-as-chips 8-speed drivetrain, which is fine for a turbo, plus it could double up as a bike for the better half (or for others, it could be a different n+1 bike).
    ================
    2020 Voodoo Marasa
    2017 Cube Attain GTC Pro Disc 2016
    2016 Voodoo Wazoo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I think all my turbo's have come with turbo spindles.

Through axle would be different so that's another reason not to bother with them ;-)
  • Matthewfalle
    Navrig2 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:
    Navrig2 wrote:
    shiznit76 wrote:

Depends who you ask?

That and the fact that a Pro will put any bike through its paces on a turbo.

How do you mean put a bike through its paces on a turbo?

Like sit on it and turn the pedals?

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958

How do you mean put a bike through its paces on a turbo?

Like sit on it and turn the pedals?

Unless he's talking about a bike from Belgium or ryder hesjedals back wheel :lol:
  • ravey1981
    ravey1981 Posts: 1,111
    My old PX pro carbon with a mixed groupset and bits that were in the garage....
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    shiznit76 wrote:

The main problem is that people keep asking this same question on forums :lol:
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    i used to use a dedicated turbo bike that was just a bike from the dump shorn of all brakes and bits you didn't need as it was only on a turbo - downtube shifters, that sort of thing.

i now have the summer crit bike on there with an old wheel and old normal tyre as there is absoloutely no need for a "turbo specific tyre".

Wasn't it dangerous if you were on a descent?
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,573
    I currently have my second hand Felt F70 on my direct drive trainer, and it is permanently setup as so.
    Old school as it goes, with carbon rear stays and forks - appreciate the latter is not retro.

Could not imagine taking a bike off a trainer, putting the wheel on, and having to reverse the process every single time I wanted to turbo, which I currently do 5 times a week, sometimes at vaguely unsociable hours.

I can see how it would not be such an issue with a rear wheel on turbo, but even then I switched to using a dedicated turbo tyre on an old rear wheel.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Matthewfalle
    Alex99 wrote:

Wasn't it dangerous if you were on a descent?

maybe for a lesser mortal but for me no because as we all know brakes are for cowards and are just unnecessary unsightly clutter.

De Sisti wrote:

smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.