training for C2C in a day

nigelh8991
nigelh8991 Posts: 12
I have signed up to do the C2C in a day next year. And was wondering if anyone has done it and have any tips. Also any training tips would be good.
I have done sportives before (100 miles maximum). I have signed up for 2 for next year to help me Wiggle Vale Velo and The struggle Dales. I also plan to sign up for a few more
I've also joined a gym to help me and am planning on doing spinning classes. Anything else which could help me that I can do in the gym.

Many thanks.

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Spinning classes/gym are probably not going to help, although they probably won't do any harm either - but it's certainly not something I would waste time on personally. What will help is long rides building up to the kind of duration/intensity you are going to need for your target event.
  • thanks.
    I was thinking of doing some weight training on my legs to help aswell.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Forget the weights. You need time in he saddle.

Spin classes will help if you push yourself. If I do three a week I'm pinging but then dead at about 40 miles on a Sunday.

You need to get the miles in your legs on the bike you'll use. Make sure everything works for you. Don't rely on the sportives to make sure you do the distance - it's just as easy to leave your front door and do 100 miles.

If the fear of having an awful c2c ride doesn't motivate you and get you out on the road - er well it should. Train hard and then it'll be MUCH easier.

How long is your route ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    nigelh8991 wrote:
    thanks.
    I was thinking of doing some weight training on my legs to help aswell.

Highly unlikely.
  • 150 miles with some killer Hill in the Lake District
  • Adrenaline should do the job. Just don't get lashed the night before.
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    You’ll need more than a day to train for C2C. It’s a long way and hilly.
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    nigelh8991 wrote:
    150 miles with some killer Hill in the Lake District
    I doubt doing the Vale Velo will be much use as a training ride unless you are doing it in under 4 hours.
  • Long training rides with lots of climbing I would suggest.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube