Hardtail + dropper vs. full sus + rigid

nickbotfield
nickbotfield Posts: 68
edited November 2017 in MTB general
Obviously I'd expect plenty of people to ask why not full sus with a dropper, but I'm wondering what people would choose given the options of a hardtail with a dropper post, versus a full sus of similar quality with a rigid seatpost. Poll ahoy!

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    since using a dropper post ...... it is by far the most improvement I have made to my riding of all time just to be able to get rid of the saddle and let the bike do what it wants underneath you is pure bliss.

If I really really cant have a dropper on a full sus .... then I would go hardtail. BUT, for the sake of £120 cant I have the full sus and a brand-x dropper ?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Silly choice. Depends on the bike. My main bikes are a FS with dropper for trails and a HT without for gentle XC type stuff.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Most of my favourite places to ride involve a push up or sessioning jumps so the seat post stays down all day and a dropper is of no benefit but rear suspension is.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Anecdotally you get a lot more issues with a dropper in an HT than an FS, presumably due to the shock loading over lumpy ground that an FS soaks up.

FS and save up for the dropper, or stick with a decent HT and a basic (cheap) disposable dropper.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    I've got an mk 1 reverb on my hardtail which has been faultless, my newer version on my full susser has been far less reliable
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite