Etape du Dales

Anyone else in for this? Did it last year and loved it - best sportive I've done so far - so have just signed up again. This year, it's going clockwise, so will be nice to have done the route both ways :D

Really is a cracker. 1300 riders, deathly quiet roads and beautiful surroundings. Great feeds as well...

https://www.etapedudales.org/

Comments

• Don't generally do them twice but might do now you've mentioned it's going the other way. Coal Rd is a pig from the other side as is Buttertubs.
  • And worst of all is Fleet Moss out of Hawes
  • london-red
    london-red Posts: 1,266
    Plodder73 wrote:
    And worst of all is Fleet Moss out of Hawes

With 90 miles in the legs :lol:
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,551
    FAAAAAAARK!!! In reverse is gonna be tough... loved last year, signing up to go the other way round!
  • serkie
    serkie Posts: 10
    I’m doing the Dragon Ride a few week after this and thought this would be a good preparation trial ride, by all accounts this may even be tougher!

I’ve done the Dragon before so know what to expect, however this ride...errr....sounds brutal.
  • serkie wrote:
    I’m doing the Dragon Ride a few week after this and thought this would be a good preparation trial ride, by all accounts this may even be tougher!

I’ve done the Dragon before so know what to expect, however this ride...errr....sounds brutal.

Much harder than the Dragon ride in my opinion. Steeper gradients and the relentless nature of the Dales topography makes it one of the toughest days out there, possibly the hardest among the <200 km events.
    Just to give you an idea, my best time is a good 15 minutes slower than my Fred's best time... and they are equal in distance.
    left the forum March 2023
  • serkie
    serkie wrote:

Much harder than the Dragon ride in my opinion. Steeper gradients and the relentless nature of the Dales topography makes it one of the toughest days out there, possibly the hardest among the <200 km events.
    Just to give you an idea, my best time is a good 15 minutes slower than my Fred's best time... and they are equal in distance.

Ouch!

Sounds like it’s gonna be a great day of pain. :?

34 / 28 ratio fine?
  • serkie wrote:

Ouch!

34 / 28 ratio fine?

Hard to say, because this year it is run clockwise, I've always done it anticlockwise, so the Coal Road was very steep that way (>20%).
    It also depends on your fitness and pedalling style. The first time I've done it I had a 36 x 34, the second a 36 x 32. Neither of them was really needed except for the Coal Road, the steep top of Fleet Moss and the bottom of Turf Moor.

Going the other way, I'd say the bottom part of the Coal Road, Buttertubs and Fleet Moss should be the hardest... none of them over 20%, but consistently over 15%. I suspect even Pen-Y-Ghent (first climb) will be pretty steep that way... it certainly felt steep going down...
  • serkie
    serkie wrote:

Ouch!

34 / 28 ratio fine?

Hard to say, because this year it is run clockwise, I've always done it anticlockwise, so the Coal Road was very steep that way (>20%).
    It also depends on your fitness and pedalling style. The first time I've done it I had a 36 x 34, the second a 36 x 32. Neither of them was really needed except for the Coal Road, the steep top of Fleet Moss and the bottom of Turf Moor.

Going the other way, I'd say the bottom part of the Coal Road, Buttertubs and Fleet Moss should be the hardest... none of them over 20%, but consistently over 15%. I suspect even Pen-Y-Ghent (first climb) will be pretty steep that way... it certainly felt steep going down...

Thanks for the heads up.

\heads off in the direction of his turbo.
  • Good luck, it's a great day out on the bike, if the weather is not too bad (wind is often an issue in the Dales).

This is my Strava file from last year, climbing is more like 2,900-3,000 metres, as the Garmin 200 under reads by about 15-20%, obviously you have to look at it backwards, all descents will become climbs for you and viceversa

https://www.strava.com/activities/986064726
  • serkie
    Good luck, it's a great day out on the bike, if the weather is not too bad (wind is often an issue in the Dales).

This is my Strava file from last year, climbing is more like 2,900-3,000 metres, as the Garmin 200 under reads by about 15-20%, obviously you have to look at it backwards, all descents will become climbs for you and viceversa

https://www.strava.com/activities/986064726

Thanks pal. :D
  • Thinking of having a go at this as well this year, given I missed out on the Fred again. Looking at that Strava map, and knowing most of those climbs, not sure if I'm ready for it yet!

The Coal road is pretty brutal from the Cowgill side, so is Buttertubs and Fleet Moss. If you imagine a door wedge, this is like going up the steepest side and having a longer shallower descent, so you'll get the height in less distance than from the other side, but they are leg shredders. Nateby Fell is also quite tough as well. Not done Pen y Ghent from that side, but been the other way and it's a fast descent, so must be a toughie as well.

I'm really talking myself out of this!

• I'm really talking myself out of this!

Yeah, probably best to wait 2019 and do this one instead...

https://pendle600audax.com/

The small matter of 10 km of climbing with all your favourites... :mrgreen:

• I'm really talking myself out of this!

Yeah, probably best to wait 2019 and do this one instead...

https://pendle600audax.com/

The small matter of 10 km of climbing with all your favourites... :mrgreen:

That's just effin insane. :shock:

• That's just effin insane. :shock:

Probably... I'm thinking about it though. It's the logical step up if I manage to finish the Bryan Chapman in May this year.
    It's not even the 10Km of climbing that worry me... it's the sheer number of 20-30% climbs and descents that is insane
  • I have a similar question re gearing, my biggest ride in terms of elevation gain so far was Velothon Wales last year which is fairly flat save for a few short steep hills and the two bigger climbs of the tumble and Caerphilly mountain. I rode with smallest gear of 36/28 and had to grind up the 10% stretches. I've got a compact chainring for this event but can't decide whether id be best with a 32 or whether i'll not need it and miss the spacing of a 28?
    https://www.strava.com/activities/1075143364
    I've wintered fairly well and am stronger and lighter than I was then but being in Norfolk where we only have short hills<6% I have little to base my climbing ability on other than zwift.
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,172
    I did the Tumble years ago... taxing, but the climbs in the Dales will be a lot steeper. I think you will be safer with the 32 at the back... what is the drawback after all?

Velothon was a mass ride, designed to be challenging but doable by beginners as well as more seasoned cyclists. The EdD was put together as a spillover of the Fred Whitton, basically those who could not enter the Fred, could do the Etape instead. The challenge is similar and it is aimed at more experienced cyclists...
  • Well I do like a challenge! You have confirmed what my sensible head has thinking. 34/32 it is. Am looking forward to it.
  • ugo.santalucia
    NorwichDan wrote:
    Well I do like a challenge! You have confirmed what my sensible head has thinking. 34/32 it is. Am looking forward to it.

you should... it is one of the best sportives in the land and it's even well catered for. You see, at the Fred you get two feeding zones, which aren't enough for most folks... a couple of sandwiches and a banana over 8-9 hours? Really?
    At the EdD you get 4 feeding zones, so plenty of food on offer and you don't have to stuff your pockets with gels
  • NorwichDan
    NorwichDan Posts: 18
    It’s nearly here. I’ve trained well culminating with my first sub 5hr hundred. One final piece of advice from those of you used to riding these type of events. Round my way I’d usually start out with arm warmers and maybe a gillet which get ditched once its above 10c and just put up with cold legs for the first part of the ride. I’m cautious that riding somewhere like the dales this may not be a good idea as 10 in the valley could be much colder at the top and on the descent. Are leg warmers a good idea or just something extra to carry later on in day?
  • ugo.santalucia
    NorwichDan wrote:
    It’s nearly here. I’ve trained well culminating with my first sub 5hr hundred. One final piece of advice from those of you used to riding these type of events. Round my way I’d usually start out with arm warmers and maybe a gillet which get ditched once its above 10c and just put up with cold legs for the first part of the ride. I’m cautious that riding somewhere like the dales this may not be a good idea as 10 in the valley could be much colder at the top and on the descent. Are leg warmers a good idea or just something extra to carry later on in day?

Forecast seems OK and your plan is sound. I don't think you will be cold

It's a tough day on the bike, IMO harder than the Fred Whitton... I wouldn't go there with the idea of going round in under 7 hours if you've never done anything this hilly... If you feel good by the time you get to Tan Hill control, then you can probably try and let go. Looks like light wind, which is usual the main struggle
  • NorwichDan
    NorwichDan Posts: 18
    Thank you for your advice Ugo. The ride to the venue was freezing but a cup of coffee at the start and all was well. I paced myself and stayed under threshold for 95% of the ride and spun up all but the steepest gradients where there was some definite grinding going on. Had a fantastic day, met some great like minded people and came home with a Sub 7 hour time. Off to Nice in June where I hope to get at least one ride into the Alps.