Asymmetric sweating

orraloon
orraloon Posts: 12,674
Anybody noticed / experienced / knowledgeable on this? Pretty trivial, I think, I hope, but I'm intrigued as to why this might happen. Google takes me into strange stuff such as Harlequin syndrome, none of which appears relevant.

I've noticed that indoors on the TT I'm sweating considerably more on my right side than left. Get much more liquid on my right arm than the left; I use leather palmed gym type mitts on the TT, right one gets soaked, left one not. Suppose outside that wind evaporation means I wouldn't detect a difference. Judging by state of my shirt, back is sweating all over, face and brow the same; could be that with the position on the bars, body sweat would tend to run down the arm, so possibly is the right side of torso sweating more than the left.

Weird eh?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Do you use a fan? Is it offset?
  • orraloon
    Imposter wrote:
    Do you use a fan? Is it offset?
    Nope, no fan, no airflow, so don't think it's anything to with external factors.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Do you have a wall one side? Could reflect or absorb your body heat. Just guessing.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Turn the turbo round and see its the same side.
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Are you right or left handed? Maybe your dominant side has more muscle, shorter/longer tendons, etc., that might influence blood flow and sweating? A friend of mine used to work in a hotel, where he spent most of his time hoovering corridors with an old upright Hoover. As a results his right arm was noticeably larger than his left. No idea about how he sweated though.
  • orraloon
    TT set up in a fairly large room with high ceiling, away from walls, tiled floor, can't think of any external direct influence.

Been mulling this over. Right handed, and can recall a sports physio commenting some years ago how my upper body's right side muscle mass was noticeably more than the left, and a discussion with him over how I should try to do more with left arm. I do manual work, so theory was I over-favoured the right. Needless to say, not been much difference in how I work over the years.

So might be as simple as that. Unless I have a seriously abnormal position on the bike to extent I hang out rightwards...someone surely would have commented sometime. :D
  • joey54321 wrote:
    Turn the turbo round and see its the same side.

What he said!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Term1te wrote:
    Are you right or left handed? Maybe your dominant side has more muscle, shorter/longer tendons, etc., that might influence blood flow and sweating? A friend of mine used to work in a hotel, where he spent most of his time hoovering corridors with an old upright Hoover. As a results his right arm was noticeably larger than his left. No idea about how he sweated though.

Yeah - right. Nice one.

I bet it was "hoovering" that made his right arm bigger than his left. "I'm just off to do some hoovering with my iPad"......
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.