Will a Carbon frame warranty be refused if bike is modified?

Ally_dagger
Ally_dagger Posts: 5
edited November 2017 in MTB general
Hi All,

I've done a few searches and I couldn't find this topic but apologies if this has already been asked.

I have just noticed a crack emerging on the rear carbon triangle of my 2 year old bike with a 5 year warranty. It's in exactly the same place as the break in my previous frame and is a known weak spot. Last time the company were great and honoured the claim and I even got the latest model.

This time I've changed a few bits on the bike but I'm not sure if the warranty will be honoured. They will have made no difference to the geometry but I'm wondering if the company will use it as an excuse to get out of the claim. I changed the wheels, brakes, converted to 1x11 from 2x10 etc. If I had to I could buy the bits and go back to standard but it would cost a bit as I have sold the original wheels.

I'm just after any prior experience or thoughts as it will be a pain to get the original components but do-able. Also I dont know if they put the terms in there to stop people changing the geometry or repainting the frame, drilling holes etc!

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• It doesn’t matter if you have modified the bike with other bits of kit so long as you have not altered the frame in any way. Only thing I can think of that would void a warranty on a frame is possibly a bottom bracket sleeve. If it’s a known fault and the brand recognises it as such and it’s within the warranty period they should replace it.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Parts need replacing anyway, only problems I can see is if longer forks are fitted, but otherwise, no.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Thanks for the responses, I haven't altered the frame in any way just the components attached. The bottom bracket is the same as before and the part where the crack has appeared is the rear knuckle that connects the front and rear carbon frames. There isn't really anything that would put greater stress on the area other than a different length rear shock.

I was just concerned as the warranty conditions state that any modifications void the warranty unless they have given written authorisation. I'm guessing they must be referring to the frame and not the components.
  • Thanks for the responses, I haven't altered the frame in any way just the components attached. The bottom bracket is the same as before and the part where the crack has appeared is the rear knuckle that connects the front and rear carbon frames. There isn't really anything that would put greater stress on the area other than a different length rear shock.

I was just concerned as the warranty conditions state that any modifications void the warranty unless they have given written authorisation. I'm guessing they must be referring to the frame and not the components.

Take into consideration you can possibly buy your frame separately so it’s accepted that the components on it are going to be of your choosing. If there is a product that is incompatible in any way it’s up to them to highlight it.
  • rich_e
    rich_e Posts: 389
    Thanks for the responses, I haven't altered the frame in any way just the components attached. The bottom bracket is the same as before and the part where the crack has appeared is the rear knuckle that connects the front and rear carbon frames. There isn't really anything that would put greater stress on the area other than a different length rear shock.

Take into consideration you can possibly buy your frame separately so it’s accepted that the components on it are going to be of your choosing. If there is a product that is incompatible in any way it’s up to them to highlight it.

I think you still have to be careful with that though.

I bought a Specialized road frameset a while back and both the box and the instructions highlight that it must be built by an authorized Specialized dealer for the warranty to be valid.

I'd imagine some other manufacturers have a similar policy.
  • Rich_E wrote:
    Thanks for the responses, I haven't altered the frame in any way just the components attached. The bottom bracket is the same as before and the part where the crack has appeared is the rear knuckle that connects the front and rear carbon frames. There isn't really anything that would put greater stress on the area other than a different length rear shock.

I think you still have to be careful with that though.

I bought a Specialized road frameset a while back and both the box and the instructions highlight that it must be built by an authorized Specialized dealer for the warranty to be valid.

I'd imagine some other manufacturers have a similar policy.

If ever there was a company that was going to do that I knew it would be Specialized. Never felt so unwelcome in any bike shop like Specialized Concept stores
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    To be safe have original parts or equivalent replacement parts. Simple for bb or chain but is say you change forks for longer travel or downhill type, the. I ca imagine the manufacturer quibble by saying bike was not used for intended purpose
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    02GF74 wrote:
    To be safe have original parts or equivalent replacement parts. Simple for bb or chain but is say you change forks for longer travel or downhill type, the. I ca imagine the manufacturer quibble by saying bike was not used for intended purpose

Longer forks put greater leverage on the head tube so impose a greater stress. Dual crown fork are also a lot more rigid and the stanchions can hit the frame.
  • larkim
    larkim Posts: 2,474
    I'd simply strip the bike down to frame only and have ready a store that you were doing a complete over-haul as part of your regular maintenance of the bike (because you are a really good bike owner) and noticed the fault. Happy to send in the frame for inspection etc etc.

OTOH, mods which haven't fundamentally changed the bike should have no effect on the durability of the frame so I think in a small claims court they'd struggle to successfully argue that you were in the wrong making component changes. You could well have had a bottom bracket fail, knackered a crank by cross threading a pedal, etc etc - all good reasons to change parts of the drive train, and follow the latest trend etc.
    2015 Canyon Nerve AL 6.0 (son #1's)
    2011 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc (son #4s)
    2013 Decathlon Triban 3 (red) (mine)
    2019 Hoy Bonaly 26" Disc (son #2s)
    2018 Voodoo Bizango (mine)
    2018 Voodoo Maji (wife's)
  • fudgey
    fudgey Posts: 854
    As above, completely strip the frame down, take pics and email to dealer, saying you are sending the frame to them for inspection.

If its the same frame that has already been replaced for the same fault, id get your cash back and get something else.
    My winter bike is exactly the same as my summer bike,,, but dirty...