carerra vulcan - is their anything i should upgrade on it?

arnieA380
arnieA380 Posts: 59
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Hi all

iv recently bought a carrera vulcan mountain bike and wondered if anybody could advice on if their is anythign i should consider upgrading on it.
il be using it for communting to work and just for general rides on my days off maybe on dirt paths etc.

when i joined this forum im sure somebody recommend a few things but i cannot find that now.
iv looked at the carrera hardtail forum but cannot see anything.

sure somebody told me upgrade the pedals?

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You could upgrade everything on just about any bike.
    Personally I'd ride it as is and see if there anything you can't live with.

Have fun.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Upgrade anything not working for you, pedals are probably a good idea depending on what is fitted, grips if what are fitted don't suite you, likewise the saddle (but the stock saddle is a generic Merida one used on dozens of models and works pretty well for many people). After that figures out what you do and don't like about the bike and upgrade that. Better quality tyres will be lighter and roll and grip better and are a good upgrade in that you get a lot of improvements in one go.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Agree with the above, only upgrade what you think is lacking.

Although factory fitted tyres can often be crappy, or cheap versions from bigger tyre brands.

So Yeh I'd look at tyres if you have the urge to upgrade something.

And don't forget 'free' upgrades, dial in your fork pressure, tyre pressure, saddle height. Get those things wrong and the bike won't ride very well.
  • snowster
    snowster Posts: 490
    Personally I would only upgrade when things wear or break seems total waste of money to me...
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    snowster wrote:
    Personally I would only upgrade when things wear or break seems total waste of money to me...

Call me a snob but carerra vulcan is pretty much low end. Don't waste money on it but save up for a better bike. Meanwhile ride it and replace parts when they wear out. These better parts such as forks, wheels, brakes, chainset can be transferred to the next bike.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    POAH wrote:
    the rider

This ..... I just did a days MTB course, best £90 ever spent, so many things I was doing wrong, so many things I didnt know about .... suddenly I see where I was going wrong with Manuals and pumping all this time

you could spend £500 on forks .. but you wont be any better ... you could spend £100 on tyres, yet still not be able to corner .. you could spend £80 on pedals and still go over the handlebars.

Get some training !
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    What and where is this course you speak of?
  • The Rookie wrote:
    Upgrade anything not working for you, pedals are probably a good idea depending on what is fitted, grips if what are fitted don't suite you, likewise the saddle (but the stock saddle is a generic Merida one used on dozens of models and works pretty well for many people). After that figures out what you do and don't like about the bike and upgrade that. Better quality tyres will be lighter and roll and grip better and are a good upgrade in that you get a lot of improvements in one go.

not sure what the pedals are, just the ones that came on it when i bought it, they seem good enough pedals.

iv been out on the bike for a few rides now and it seemed a good ride just when i started going through a big deeper muddy paths the bike started sliding abit but im sure that would happen no matter what tyres i had

but if you could recommend a good tyre upgrade for me