Which version?

lukebrewerton
lukebrewerton Posts: 16
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
I was looking at the VooDoo Bizango but the new version has just been released so I am undecided which one to go for.
I will be commuting during the week and trails and free rides at the weekends.

The specs of each are at the following URLs:-

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mountain-bike-2016 <- 2016 version

http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/mountain-bikes/voodoo-bizango-29er-mens-mountain-bike <- 2018 version

The bit that is worrying is the change to a 1X drivetrain on the 2018 version, dropping the gears from 20 to 11 and i'm worried about not having a wide enough gear range to get up steep hills as there are quite a few round here, even on my commute.

Comments

• Without looking through the specs I could pretty much guarantee that the 11 speed 2018 spec will actually give just about the same gear ratio spread as the 20 speed 2016 spec. Simply plug the cassette and chainring sizes into any gear calculator to tell you.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • My other concern is that the entire crankset and drivetrain is SRAM NX whereas the older model uses Suntour crankset with Shimano deore front and rear mechs with the rear mech having a clutch.

I don’t want to pay more for less just because it’s the new model
  • Sram NX rear mech has a clutch.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I would personally go for the new version, the fork is beefier with more travel and wider 34mm legs, SRAM NX 1X11 is also good and simple clutch mech without the front shiftier to deal with. The colour is a massive improvement in my opinion, I didn't like the yellow which steered me away from the Bizango when I was looking for a new hard tail earlier this year.
  • Thank you all, that decides it! The new one it is! I also was put off by the yellow but wanted the most for my money!

Now to get my employer to cough up!
  • Thank you all, that decides it! The new one it is! I also was put off by the yellow but wanted the most for my money!

Now to get my employer to cough up!

Cool let us know how you get on with your new bike (-: