Riding after a General Anasthetic

davetom71
davetom71 Posts: 10
I recently had an operation to fix on ongoing ear problem. I had to have a general anaesthetic , and a week after I’m still shattered from doing simple tasks. The turbo is crying out to be used but I’m concerned about doing too much too soon. Is there any rules/timelines about getting back on the bike after a general anaesthetic?
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2

Comments

• davetom71 wrote:
    I recently had an operation to fix on ongoing ear problem. I had to have a general anaesthetic , and a week after I’m still shattered from doing simple tasks. The turbo is crying out to be used but I’m concerned about doing too much too soon. Is there any rules/timelines about getting back on the bike after a general anaesthetic?

I'd speak to your doc rather than take advice off an internet forum.

I remember personally having a couple of GA's and a bit like bad jetlag, getting wiped out for at least a week if not more. I only really appreciated how bad it had been when the fog lifted. But again, speak to your Dr.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've always felt I recover from them pretty quickly, but then again on each occasion I was immobilised by the surgery so I've no idea if I'd be able to do anything physical.

Listen to your body and don't take advice from strangers on the internet
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    davetom71 wrote:
    I recently had an operation to fix on ongoing ear problem. I had to have a general anaesthetic , and a week after I’m still shattered from doing simple tasks.

There you go - ignore any specific duration and get back to it when you feel recovered.
  • Thanks everyone. My mind says turbo, but my body says sofa and PS4. Sofa wins for the time being.
    Canyon Ultimate CF SLX
    Giant Defy Advanced Pro 2
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Errr - dude.

You've had a GA procedure, you feel like muck and you want to go on the turbo?

Seriously?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Last year I was in hospital for 5 days after a little off. 6 hr op. a few days after I got out I rode normal training mile, i was fine but slower than normal. it took a month for the legs to start to return to form and even then i say start.

I had a op eariler this year to correct a problem due to scaring from the last op and it was shorter and I was able to ride the day after without ill affects even though I was warned to leave a few days.

in short do what you feel capable off, if you can't ride don't but also inactivity leads to tirdness and gentle excerise may wake you up. we are not you so we cant really tell you what to do, we all recover at different rates.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.