Is this the best bike for under £300? Can anyone beat it?

woodboy76
woodboy76 Posts: 25
edited November 2017 in MTB buying advice
Looking at getting my wife into mountain biking, this seems like an incredible deal, decent spec for the price, surely too good to be true?

https://www.leisurelakesbikes.com/10397 ... elakeBikes

She is 5 ft 6 with 24 inch foot to book inside leg will an 18.5 inch frame be fine?

Comments

• cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    probbaly not it is not a high end bike and as bike sales are falling retailers and manufacturers maybe cutting prices to shift bikes. over production is bad news for them good news for you.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Im not looking for high end but want best for money under £300 so do you reckon there will be better ones over the next few weeks, I need it for 2nd week of December ideally
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Bargain basement bits. Not bad at the sale price maybe, but I wouldn't.

And probably way too big.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • According to the trek sizing chart fro women 5ft 6 1/2 inches is recommened for 18.5 inch frame so that seems ok, anything you can reccomend for the same price that beats this bike spec? I cant find anything close, Ideally would have hydraulic discs but cant get that for under £350
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Halfords have just increased their prices ready to drop them again, probably for Black Friday.
    Keep an eye on the Bantu or Vulcan.
    That isn't bad value at the offer price (Matches the equivalent offerings from the likes of Halfords) but I'd steer away from cheap 29ers as the wheel and tyre weight tends to make them rather dull and heavy to ride, a 27.5 would feel much livelier at the same price point/spec point.

The frames are quite short (length, not height), but I don't like the high front end that pushes them into, fine for pootling on country lanes and fire roads but not if anything like proper mountain biking is going to be attempted.
    "The Skye's the limit for how far this mountain bike will take you. Every detail, from women-specific touch points to optimised wheel size, is designed to ensure a fun, wild adventure on the trail." erm...no!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.