Is there an alternative to Strava yet?

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
edited December 2017 in MTB general
A number MTBers (I don't know how many) have complained that they are not properly represented on Strava, and the road cyclists seem to be being put off by its attempt to look more like Facebook. Is there a viable alternative yet? Then again, perhaps it doesn't matter.

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    A number of MTBers (I don’t know how many) need to get a life.
  • What do you mean?

If you mean apps that record your ride, and all your stats ie power hear rate etc then there are a multitude of them. If you want one where you compete against people you never met over a pre determined piece of land for utterly pointless bragging rights then I hope Strava stays unique in that area.

Even if there were an alternative would it matter? You could have a brilliant ride and put it on the alt app but if it’s not an Strava.......
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I'm always more interested in getting PB's than absolute positions. I guess that confirms I'm weird?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    pretty much every single GPS device brand has its own logging software, Garmin, tom-tom, Wahoo .. they all log miles, display stats. some you can even look at other users data if they have made it public

Fortunately there is only one that tries to copy Facebook and thats Strava

Edit ... oh and why are MTBers not represented ? ..... you log miles, look at leader board segments .... if you ride your MTB on the road, then yes you will be at the bottom of the leaderboards ... but the idea of a MTB is dont ride on the roads looking for KOMs
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Indeed, I'm not going to represent MTBs on Strava as they are under represented......DOH

Just look a thing the number of riders logged at a trail centre and how many segments have been created! Won't be many roadies in that?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I use memory map - a GPS with built in Ordnance Survey maps - whole of UK in 1:50,000 and some higher resolution ones. I use it for navigating but it does record your route and time and speed as a .GPSX file if you want. But I'd not like to navigate other than on OS maps when out in the sticks.

Id rather have a submarine shoved up my khyber; backwards with the engine running; than go on strava. FACT.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Isn't the whole competitive thing on Strava a bit meaningless now there are people using ebikes?
    I'm fairly certain it's not all that accurate since the local estate agent with a shiny enduro has been bragging about beating a very successful xc racers KOM up the biggest climb in the area.
  • Strava is accurate. The inaccuracy comes from the device used to record the ride.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,294
    The Rookie wrote:
    I'm always more interested in getting PB's than absolute positions. I guess that confirms I'm weird?
    Good job I'm not fussed about absolute positions, that would get depressing. I'm doing well if I can get into the top 10% nowadays.
  • fat daddy
    Isn't the whole competitive thing on Strava a bit meaningless now there are people using ebikes?

only if you are capable of getting a KOM and spit your dummy out if someone beats you.

However for every 5 people in the top 5 there is normally 4000 other people that dont stand a chance, are happy with that and can happily try and move up the leader boards and get that extra 1s needed to go from 150th to 149th

Generally speaking, no one cheats to be mid placed, so the cheaters only affect the very elite .... if you are not the very elite which the majority are not ...... then cheating is rather a redundant concept.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    Veronese68 wrote:
    The Rookie wrote:
    Good job I'm not fussed about absolute positions, that would get depressing. I'm doing well if I can get into the top 10% nowadays.

Same here. That is unless I manage to find a little-used segment and my PR is close to KOM - then achieving (and defending) KOM is everything. EVERYTHING!*

But meh, I'm just happy to beat my own PR. Mostly.

*I hold, and have only ever held, one KOM. On a descent.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • fat daddy
    POAH wrote:
    what is strava?

Face book with a GPS data feed :cry:
  • I just use Strava to get the data then use Veloviewer
  • The Rookie wrote:
    That is exactly what I use Strava for too.
    Stay positive people :)
  • tonysj
    tonysj Posts: 391
    I use it for PBs but also like to be in the top 10 to 15% otherwise I feel I've not gone hard enough.
    KOMs are for dreamers as some are falsely obtained so what's the point sometimes!
    At least being in the top 10 to 15% are there on merit and is not disputable.
    Just my opinion!!