Baby oil?

nasha48
nasha48 Posts: 231
edited November 2017 in MTB general
OK, I'm braced for any forthcoming abuse, but does anyone else ever wipe over their MTB frame with a thin coating of baby oil? Yes dust may collect a bit more on it but I do like to see the water bead off it and it really pops the colours.

Done it for ages, doesn't seem to have had any negative effect on the paintwork. Surely I can't be the only weirdo?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Unless MTB frame is a euphemism for your obvious, yes, you are the only weirdo.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • sh3p
    sh3p Posts: 98
    hmm Baby oil nope...but proper polish and wax to get the paint to pop and water bead away yes :)
    And it doesn't gather extra dust like oil as well as giving the paint extea protection,I think for me its just an extension of detailing the car transferred to my bikes :D
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    baby oil ???

doesnt everything just end up sticking to your bike ... the stuff doesnt even repel water it just beads up and sticks to it ?

I use Juice lubes fork juice ... now that stuff is so slippery not even time can stick to it one side of my garrage runs slower than the other
  • nasha48
    Oh dear, sounding like it's just me then...! Believe it or not, stuff doesn't seem to stick to it no. It's obviously a very thin film and the muck after a ride just drops off a dream. Proper polish/wax of course does much the same I realise and I do use this too - but now and again, the baby oil adds a bright gloss sheen, which I like, cuz I'm a weirdo.

Might go for a lavender scented version next...
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • GT85 to wipe over the frame after cleaning/drying off etc, obviously I use baby wipes to clean tricky parts (on the bike).

A dab of chain lube on the suspension.

But no baby oil...
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • ORideO
    ORideO Posts: 1
    Ill try it once.
  • nasha48
    Damn you Rookie - I soooooo regret not locking the door to those cleaners :lol:
  • Angus Young
    Angus Young Posts: 3,063
    Like my Johnson, I prefer to ride it than rub stuff on it when I'm alone.
    All the gear, no idea and loving the smell of jealousy in the morning.
    Kona Process 134 viewtopic.php?f=10017&t=12994607
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    cooldad wrote:
    Unless MTB frame is a euphemism for your obvious, yes, you are the only weirdo.

I'd argue that you, spunky monkey and rookie are just as weird :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Now I'm offended, i thought I was much weirder than CD ever manages!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I may be a weird pervert but I have never rubbed baby oil in to a bicycle. I've never made any attempt to make my bike shiny, a quick wash is all it needs.
    The wife's fun bags on the other hand are a different thing and I think that's entirely more acceptable.
  • figbat
    figbat Posts: 680
    It’s just light mineral oil with some perfume in it. No different from using GT85 or fork oil, other than the smell.
    Cube Reaction GTC Pro 29 for the lumpy stuff
    Cannondale Synapse alloy with 'guards for the winter roads
    Fuji Altamira 2.7 for the summer roads
    Trek 830 Mountain Track frame turned into a gravel bike - for anywhere & everywhere
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Mineral oil with perfume???
    What a time to be alive.
  • poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    The wife's fun bags on the other hand are a different thing and I think that's entirely more acceptable.

yes, we all feel its acceptable to rub baby oil onto your wife's funbags :lol: