CAAD12 frameset with TRP brakes

itboffin
itboffin Posts: 20,052
edited November 2017 in The workshop
If only i'd know just what a royal PITA building up a CAAD12 disc was going to be i might not have started, anyway i'm almost done with this build, I've opted for TRP spyre SLC mechincal disc brakes, post on the front and flat rear, after eventually sourcing the right adapters for both i'm now faced with what bloody screws to I need to mount the rear to the frame?!?

this is getting so annoying now

Edit: I emailed TRP and they've provided links to a very well hidden section on their web site that explain how to measure for the bolt you need.

TECH-DOC-FLATMOUNT_BOLT-LENGTH_rev-21.jpg

https://www.trpcycling.com/product/flat-mount-bolts/
Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.

Comments

• itboffin
    Oh and incase anyone else finds themselves going down this frame + brakeset route, those screws are only available in the USA for $1.98 a set with $15+ postage to the UK

for that prices why dont they include them with the brakes?!?!?!?!
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • itboffin
    I've ordered something similar but the CAAD12 needs 32mm or 37mm try finding that size, ive gone with 35mm failing that ill order a bunch from the USA and sell the spares on ebay.
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Buy long, then you can cut to length if required with dremel/hacksaw.
  • itboffin
    i also only just noticed the rear brake exit hole is on the right side of the frame
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why on earth does it need bolts that long, why not just the normal M5x16mm?

I see no logic in bolts having to go all the way through the frame like that, bizarre!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    The Rookie wrote:
    Why on earth does it need bolts that long, why not just the normal M5x16mm?

I see no logic in bolts having to go all the way through the frame like that, bizarre!

i agree but there you go, progress eh
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To put it another way, I'd just use M5x16.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • itboffin
    bought a pack of 10 m5 x 35mm for 99p from the bay of evil, one washer needed on the rear hole, two on the forward.

job done albeit long winded