Mavic crossmax xd driver removal problem

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited September 2018 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to service my freehub but cant remove the driver body. (Crossmax XL)

I have followed this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31i0XWJpI4Y

But cant remove the body as shown. I have also tried partially refitting the cassette to get better leverage. Obviously I don't want to use too much force and damage anything.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Comments

• 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    You've removed the end cap? The freebhub is held by the rubber seal so should pull off.
  • sandy771
    I followed the video exactly (lots of times now)

remove the non-drive side end cap
    loosen the "lock ring" one full turn
    remove the drive side end cap
    try to remove freehub body, and fail !!!

I have tried various degrees of loosening the lock ring from none, 90, 180 ... to 720. As previously mentioned I have also re-attached the cassette to use this for a little extra leverage, but don't want to "over do" this.

The freehub is working fine at the mo, but I do want to get inside and service the springs and pawls.

If anyone else has any ideas I would appreciate them
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Are you twisting it anti clockwise whilst pulling?
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • sandy771
    Hi Dusk

Yes, I have been doing that, no joy. Off on a trip away next week so will leave it now, as its working, and look again when I get back.
  • 02gf74
    Haven't you posted about this already?

The seal should be all that is holding the freehub in place.

How hard are you pulling?

Maybe a sharp tap on the other side with a rubber mallet with the wheel horizontal may dislodge it.
  • sandy771
    No, this thread is my first post on this (unless dementia has set in)

Next step, after a trip to Wales, is to put an old cassette on and try a bit of gentle tapping through the spokes.

Cheers
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    It's surely got to be an issue with the bearings within the freehub being seized to the axle as no freehub should be attached that hard.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • sandy771
    Thanks Dusk, yes that is my thought now - hence the tap on an old cassette plan.
  • 02gf74
    Is it off yet?
  • sandy771
    No - not had time yet :( lasted through BPW, and a couple of days at Afan OK though :)
  • i had this exact same problem. turns out it was the freehub bearings seized onto axle as suspected.

i tried reinstalling cassette and trying to drift off. no good.....in the end i carefully levered between the cassette and hub flange, working round. eventually it came off. guess that’ll teach me to leave it untouched for 2+years without a service!!