Heating's still off...

briantrumpet
briantrumpet Posts: 17,689
edited February 2018 in The cake stop
It's that time of year when in my stinginess I see how long I can last before any heating gets turned on in the house. Going well so far... reckon I might get to at least the second week in November. The quilt might get thicker, and an extra jumper go on, but I'm not letting British Gas get my hard-earned cash without a fight.

Anyone else out there as mean as me?

Comments

• I always look to get to the start of November without turning it on, wasn't even tempted before today this year. Looking at the forecast I'll be switching it on at the weekend probably.
  • briantrumpet
    It used to make it easier for me when I heated by logs, and they were cut & split by hand - there's a real incentive not to get started on this heating lark. The best year I lit the woodburner in November, and I let it go out in April. One match.
  • I'm stingy with the heating and would normally wait until it's below 5° at night and doesn't exceed 10° during the day for at least several consecutive days but I've been ill and inactive most of the past week so thought sod it I'll turn it on early.
  • orraloon
    orraloon Posts: 12,612
    ...but I'm not letting British Gas get my hard-earned cash without a fight.
    Bleepin' British Gas. Bandits. I was on an MSE Collective Fix tariff which ended early October, at which point they put me on their standard variable tariff for the 10 days before my switch to Cooperative Energy completed. If my arithmetic is correct, and I have checked, the standard rate is 64% higher than the fix I was on. Xxxx me. Privatisation eh? I blame Thatcher.

Anyway, woodburners are on, little tickle of central heating for an hour morning and evening to keep 'er 'appy-ish.
  • briantrumpet
    orraloon wrote:
    Anyway, woodburners are on, little tickle of central heating for an hour morning and evening to keep 'er 'appy-ish.
    I wondered who'd be the first to admit that 'the other half' had a differing view of what's acceptable on the warmth front...
  • briantrumpet
    oxoman wrote:
    Sorry to disappoint you I never switch mine off, just down on the thermostat. Not been with BG for years, found ovo cheapest for me. Sadly no logburners as smokeless area.
    My mother took a little persuading that turning the central heating off for a week in July while she was away probably wouldn't lead to frozen pipes or similar catastrophes...
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Ours went on Sunday after coming back from a weekend away to a cold empty house (not helped by the cottage we stayed in having the heating blazing) and having had a bit of a leak in a flat roof the previous week it felt damp.
  • crispybug2
    crispybug2 Posts: 2,915
    edited November 2017
    My wife and kids seem to have thinner skin than Donald Trump and spend every waking moment from October onwards complaining that they're cold and that the heating needs to go on to prevent immediate hypothermia, honestly it's like living in a f*cking sauna there isn't a moment of the year when I'm not fine wearing shorts and a t shirt!!

Anyhow, the natural blonde now pays the gas and leccy bills with the same amount going out every month on direct debit which keeps her happy and means I have no say in the household temperature!!!
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    We live in a flat so take the heat from our neighbours... sometimes need the windows open in winter.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    We haven't had the heating on yet as none of the radiators are connected in yet. We have been lighting the wood burners being wimps but in our defence tonight is first night in two weeks we have had an inside toilet. We had no bath or shower for a week, witnessing the missus as she got herself sat in the kitchen sink for an all over wash was a sight to behold.
  • orraloon
    ^ Oh I think pics are necessary here :shock:
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I did think about it for 30 seconds but the thought of living on my own at my age sort of put me off.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    it was mild enough last winter I didnt turn my heating on at all 8) admittedly my boiler is old and chucks out a fair amount of heat just keeping the hot water heated, so its a form heating by osmosis :D

but there you go my office is a ridiculous 26 degrees C at the moment,and half the men are wearing jumpers and fleeces complaining its cold, which is annoying as Im boiling inside the office, so dressing quite literally summer style still,but consequently freezing if I pop outside for coffee
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo_666 Posts: 58,167
    It's that time of year when in my stinginess I see how long I can last before any heating gets turned on in the house. Going well so far... reckon I might get to at least the second week in November. The quilt might get thicker, and an extra jumper go on, but I'm not letting British Gas get my hard-earned cash without a fight.

Unlikely :wink:

Here's a tip:
    https://www.uswitch.com/
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here's a tip:
    Given that my gas bill is only £20 a month anyway, I'm not going to get rich on the savings from a switch.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here's a tip:
    Given that my gas bill is only £20 a month anyway, I'm not going to get rich on the savings from a switch.
    So why are you moaning about BG?
    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here's a tip:
    OK. "I'm not going to use more gas than I have to". Less colourful, but if it makes you happy...

Oh, I forgot to add the smiley.

;)
  • john80
    john80 Posts: 2,965
    Try this game in the north of England and November might not be the month you start heating.
  • Stevo_666
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here's a tip:
    OK. "I'm not going to use more gas than I have to". Less colourful, but if it makes you happy...

;)
    Let me change my tip slightly. Stop being so ferkin tight, life is too short.

:wink:
  • briantrumpet
    john80 wrote:
    Try this game in the north of England and November might not be the month you start heating.
    But I thought all northerners were as hard as nails...
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here's a tip:

;)
    Let me change my tip slightly. Stop being so ferkin tight, life is too short.

:wink:
    Being tight helped me pay for my second home ;)
  • Stevo_666
    Must be a cheap one if you're making such a big thing about saving 10 quid off you gas bill.

Working hard and making some wise decisions got me mine :wink:
  • briantrumpet
    Stevo 666 wrote:
    Must be a cheap one if you're making such a big thing about saving 10 quid off you gas bill.
    Yeah, didn't pay too much for it. The view came free.

img_20170814_155240.jpg?w=400
  • orraloon
    Game, set and match to Trumpet.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Here's a tip:

Wish my oil bill was that much a week! Ferkin Aga
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,832
    Stevo 666 wrote:

Nice
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    oxoman wrote:
    Sorry to disappoint you I never switch mine off, just down on the thermostat. Not been with BG for years, found ovo cheapest for me. Sadly no logburners as smokeless area.

Likewise, ours never goes off, use the thermostat.
    Can't understand people with a fixed cut off date or switch on date. Do you get a minor local celeb to come around to switch it on?
    If we are hungry we get something to eat. Thirsty? We get a drink. Chilly? I'm sure you get the idea. :wink:
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Webboo wrote:
    We haven't had the heating on yet as none of the radiators are connected in yet. We have been lighting the wood burners being wimps but in our defence tonight is first night in two weeks we have had an inside toilet. We had no bath or shower for a week, witnessing the missus as she got herself sat in the kitchen sink for an all over wash was a sight to behold.

How small is your Doris to fit in a sink? I'm looking at our kitchen sink now (standard sized kitchen sink) and I couldn't fit one of my legs in there with getting a case of rectal faucet.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Stevo 666 wrote:

That's Cwymbran isn't it? You can see Edwyn's house with the red tiles.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • I am similarly mean, but down here in tropical Hampshire it's rare we have the heating on. I normally fire up the boiler in early December to see if it still works, but the only time I've had the heating on before Xmas was when one of us was ill.
    Cooking heats the kitchen and a woodburner the living room. The only real expenditure on gas is for heating water.
    I also had new windows fitted this year and I expect to see some return on the cost of those through greater efficiency.
    Whisky is also quite good at keeping the cold out.
    Ecrasez l’infame