Long sleeve jersey

agentorange88
agentorange88 Posts: 95
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for my first autumn winter jersey.

How wind proof are roubaix style jerseys?

Friday was sunny and around 16c. I was out in a long sleeve summer jersey with a windproof Gillet over the top. My chest was warm but when I got home the shoulders felt cold from the wind if that makes sense

I'm wanting a jersey that won't be too hot for this sort of weather but can have a warm Base Layer underneath if it colder. I'm unlikely to be on the road bike in 3c and lower.

Will roubaix fabric with out a specified windproof membrane be warm enough from wind chill or would a less warm windproof only jersey be better with a heavier Base Layer?

Comments

• Roubaix fabric isn't remotely windproof. You can mitigate this by adding a gilet or a windproof base layer. But, ultimately a windstopper jacket or jersey is the better option.

So, for example,
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-blok-windpr ... ll-dazzle/
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467

Friday was sunny and around 16c. I was out in a long sleeve summer jersey with a windproof Gillet over the top. My chest was warm but when I got home the shoulders felt cold from the wind if that makes sense
    Where do you live, south of France? ;-) 16C and sunny is pretty much summer temperatures for me and I'd probably just be wearing a Castelli Climber's Jersey..

8-9C today and I was in the long-sleeved Gabba for the first time in a while.. 11-15C I'd be in a short-sleeved Perfetto light, with or without arm-warmers depending.

In the past I layered in intermediate temperatures, but these days the technical windstopper garments are so versatile they pretty much cope with any situation where a light summer jersey isn't suitable, including light rain. If it's showery I just subtract 2 or 3 degrees from the temperature when deciding what to wear.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    i agree wholeheartedly with the above post - the versatility of today's most excellent technical windstopper garments means that the traditional layering isn't required.

a climber's jersey is also an essential addition to any rider's ensemble.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    I can recommend this Ale jersey and similar iterations in their range.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ale-prr-camo-dolomiti-long-sleeve-jersey/?sku=5360770970
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • Should of said 16c if sat in the sun. out of the sun and riding the air was colder and went down to 4c by 9pm
    Tried on a perfetto ls today and don't fit an xl.
    Do fit an xl castelli fz puro jersey though and a large endura roubaix was just right
    Will have a look at the windproofs
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Sportwool jerseys are a good compromise. They have merino wool in them and provide better insulation that thin man made fabrics. Add a merono based layer and they are good for autumn days. Add a gilet and they are OK for milder winter days.

I've a Torm and a Rapha l/s version and really like them.

http://torm.cc/
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I can vouch for the DHB windstoppers I used it at the weekend and it performed perfectly backs a lighter fleece so helps keep you from sweating up too much.

I'm off to buy a climbers jersey...
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    Tried on a perfetto ls today and don't fit an xl.
    Are you sure it doesn't fit, as opposed to just seeming tight? The Gabbas and Perfettos are supposed to be a tight fit, basically skin-tight. You should feel a stretch in it when you do the zip up.. But in any case it seems they do xxl in the Perfetto and even 3xl in the Gabba.

Whether you want something like this or something more traditional with more insulation will depend on the type of riding you will be doing - the technical fabrics on the gabba etc are designed to keep you warm as long as you are exerting yourself, and they work extremely well for that. But if you are doing really long endurance rides or just not working hard enough (tempo or above) they won't provide much warmth.
  • yep couldnt do it up round the chest, there is close fitting, this was like painted on

got a couple of dhb softshell jerseys on the way and an endura jetstream jersey, hopefully these will be thin enough for +10C and warm enough with base layer and gillet down to +5C.

I tend to use the mountainbike if its wet or icey and have a baggy wardrobe for real cold weather or night rides
  • webboo
    webboo Posts: 6,087
    I went out yesterday with base layer, 2 short sleeve tops, arm warmers and a gillet. I felt a bit chilled at times. However it didn't feel cold enough for either my twenty year old Assos air block jacket or my Assos air block 851. Any suggestions for something in between.
  • Excuse my Ignorance ..I am new to cycling, why would you need a climbers jersey in autumn or winter?
  • Roubaix fabric isn't remotely windproof. You can mitigate this by adding a gilet or a windproof base layer. But, ultimately a windstopper jacket or jersey is the better option.

So, for example,
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-blok-windpr ... ll-dazzle/

Got a few things in the post but keep tripping over your review of the Aeron Roubaix jersey, its not windproof but gets rave reviews but not as to what conditions to wear and what if any base layer?
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017

Got a few things in the post but keep tripping over your review of the Aeron Roubaix jersey, its not windproof but gets rave reviews but not as to what conditions to wear and what if any base layer?

This, for me, is the ideal solution from about 8 -15 degC. I use an Aeron Roubaix jersey with either a long sleeve base layer at the cold end or a short sleeve base layer at the warm end. For me, breathability is paramount as with windstopper pieces, I sweat too much and end up cooling down. I find this combination very comfortable for long rides.

For lower temps then I go for windstopper fabrics and then winter jackets.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I'm a bit baffled as to who needs a climbers Jersey. Certainly not that useful in Britain with our climate.

Gilets are great. You can pick up windproof ones for a song and ride in them all day or have in your pocket in case it cools down.

Probably the most versatile piece of kit I have.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,538
    cougie wrote:
    I'm a bit baffled as to who needs a climbers Jersey. Certainly not that useful in Britain with our climate.

Gilets are great. You can pick up windproof ones for a song and ride in them all day or have in your pocket in case it cools down.

Gilets are awesome - I, ummm, may have 5 :D
    Galibier foul weather Gilet
    Castelli Perfetto
    Ale Piuma one
    Sportful hotpack
    Mavic H2O - which I use for school run duties.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    as said, roubaix LS jerseys aren't that good when it gets nippy. as your arms get cold.

better to try a thinner windstopper jacket, from the main players. My favourites are Sportful and Etxeondo, then adjust with the base layer for the temp - thin sleeveless if it's warmer, thicker LS base if it's sub 8deg-ish.

I'm a big fan of roubaix LS jerseys, in terms of feel and fit, but their working window is actually quite narrow.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    cougie wrote:

I'd quite happily wear a thin climbers jersey for most of the summer. Clearly i run very hot as i was out on Sunday (6oC) with my normal castelli volo and a base layer, arm warmers (which were taken off after about 20 mins), shorts and a thicker pair of socks than usual oh and still using my finger less gloves, no cap/hat.

I have a Galibier foul weather jacket, that might get one or two outings this year as i find myself getting way too hot even on an easy ride in and around 5oC and a fairly strong breeze.

I'll always take a thin gillet for the coffee stops though.