Bike cameras and reporting incidents

slowbike
slowbike Posts: 8,498
edited November 2017 in Road general
This isn't a question ... just a quick post about an incident that occured last week.

A few weeks ago I sent my wife into Aldi to buy one of those rearview lights & camera - £40 needs a bit of a consideration to spend on something that probably won't provide anything - but you never know ... anyway - it was "cheap" enough to be worth an experiment ...

I can commute by bike a couple of days a week - and this light is mounted on the bike I'm currently using (it's quick enough to move anyway) ... I've had a couple of close passes - but looking back at the video, nothing that makes you say "Ouch too close" ... until last week that is.

It wasn't a panic situation with horns blaring, lights flashing or loads of swearing - just a seemingly innocent "overtake" where the car didn't attempt to give me any room - in a 30 limit on a country A road - all captured reasonably well by the rearview camera - I don't have a front or helmet mounted one - I couldn't see the driver, but the car make and reg were clear in the video. I checked the Insurance, tax and MOT status - all ok - then found Operation Crackdown - Sussex Police's online incident submission website - and they accept links to video evidence (although they do ask you not to post it on social media) - so, quick form filling - upload a clip from the video (clipped using VLC media player - record as you play - as they don't want to trawl through 5 minutes of video) - they send you an email with a case number and you can see the outcome of the case.
I was half expecting it to be ignored ... it was clearly an inconsiderate rather than agressive overtake ... but this lunchtime the case changed from "pending" to "we've sent a formal letter" ...

Am I pleased? Yes ... I am very pleased. It suggests that Sussex Police have got an easy way for the public to submit incidents without having to make a special journey to a police station. They can review when they have time - and with the video evidence it's not my word against theirs - it's quite clear.

So £40 camera - worth it? Yup - in this case that's a warning that's got sent out to a driver who would otherwise have remained oblivious to their inconsiderate driving.

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I had the same thing, sent in stills of two very close passes one coming awards me and one going past, the police sent both people the images and a warning that if they are reported again they face prosecution, the third i sent in at same time, they said they would give him the benefit of the doubt, so yes police do take close passes seriously :)
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    the met have a similar scheme, i've had a couple of people being sent on a course due to bad driving.

easy system to use and hopefully has a long term positive effect.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    North Wales police have one too but there's a limit of 6 months to report incidents. At least they have a scheme.
  • slowbike
    6 months is a reasonable time frame I think - if it's that serious that it takes you more than 6 months to report it then I would've thought the police would've been involved to start with.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Tbh at the time I didn't think it worthwhile taking it to the police. At least I know now that there is the option.
  • Now to educate the other 29 million road users
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • The 6 months is the time limit for summary only offences (which will make up most of them) so that's sensible.

Haven't looked but is there guidance on the website about 14 days? Being the required NIP period.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • JBVRV
    JBVRV Posts: 27
    Hopefully Surrey Police and Hampshire Police will get this at some point. I too bought the Aldi cameras, one front facing and one rear. Second week of using it and a van driver deliberately hit me, but because I wasn't injured the police won't view the footage as it doesn't constitute dangerous driving. Pretty frustrating.
  • slowbike
    JBVRV wrote:
    Hopefully Surrey Police and Hampshire Police will get this at some point. I too bought the Aldi cameras, one front facing and one rear. Second week of using it and a van driver deliberately hit me, but because I wasn't injured the police won't view the footage as it doesn't constitute dangerous driving. Pretty frustrating.

Assuming it's clearcut on the video .... and the local Plod won't view it - get in contact with your crime commisioner and local MP - send them (links to) the footage and complain that the Plod are doing nothing about it. If it's that bad then send it to your local papers too.
  • If your out on a frosty morning just take a quick glance at cars still with ice on their windscreens and side windows. If you have an incident get the photos taken quickly before the ice melts to show others the lack of vision they were driving with prior to the accident. There bang to rights if they have windows which are not clean of ice.
  • slowbike
    Doesn't need ice on the windscreen - the number of people I see these days with their mobile phone stuck on their windscreen is incredible.... I followed a colleague with his stuck in-line with his left shoulder ...
  • This is the one for London?

https://www.met.police.uk/roadsafelondon/

Right, time to buy a camera and become bicycle Batman... the hero this city doesn't need or deserve!
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,844
    This is really good however I suspect that there will be so many reports that they wont be able to cope eventually. Let's hope it has an impact before then tho'.