Which Budget Smart Turbo Trainer

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited November 2017 in Training, fitness and health
I'm in the market for a cheap Smart Turbo Trainer, what should I be looking at?

Comments

• Turbo trainers start with $54 to around $1500 in Amazon. You can take anyone from them depending on your budgets. Happy shopping 8)
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Depends what you're after. Do you want wheel on or direct mount? What type of resistance; fluid, magnetic, fan? Smart, FEC or simple user controlled? Mains powered or self generating power? If FEC, what percentage of incline do you want to be able to replicate? etc etc
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • doomanic
    I don't want/can't afford to spend more than a couple of hundred quid so direct mount is out.

I don't know which resistance type is best, nor do I know what FEC is.

I want something that will simulate the ups and downs of real riding if possible, so I assume that's a smart trainer.

The following trainers have caught my eye, but I don't know enough to make any decision other than one based on price.
    TACX 2240
    Elite Quobo Wireless
    Elite Digital Smart B Plus
  • Elite Muin can be found for £290 at Halfords. If your a BC member that's another 10% discount on top.
  • doomanic wrote:

I want something that will simulate the ups and downs of real riding if possible, so I assume that's a smart trainer.

That's what FEC is. Without that, your app won't change the resistance.
  • doomanic
    Elite Muin can be found for £290 at Halfords. If your a BC member that's another 10% discount on top.
    That's a very good price (still more than I was budgeting for and 30 quid more than my bike cost...), but I didn't think the BC discount was available on discounted items?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    FEC is not in the 'budget' zone...
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    A higher price point is no barrier to questionable products being released too early by manufacturers chasing market share which covers smart trainers and power meters.

However the connectivity to online platforms makes sessions more enjoyable but there's nothing you can't replicate with a dumb trainer.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • StillGoing
    doomanic wrote:
    Elite Muin can be found for £290 at Halfords. If your a BC member that's another 10% discount on top.
    That's a very good price (still more than I was budgeting for and 30 quid more than my bike cost...), but I didn't think the BC discount was available on discounted items?

Elite Muin is a direct mount trainer too. Add the B+ add on and its then a smart trainer. Still won't do FEC though. I don't use FEC (Elite Kura) and haven't found it any great loss.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    doomanic wrote:
    I don't want/can't afford to spend more than a couple of hundred quid so direct mount is out.

The following trainers have caught my eye, but I don't know enough to make any decision other than one based on price.
    TACX 2240
    Elite Quobo Wireless
    Elite Digital Smart B Plus
    In which case out of those 3 the ones you need are the Tacx 2240 or the Elite Qubo Digital Smart B+. From what I can gather the Tacx is easier to use and Calibrate out of the box whereas the Elite is a little fussier to set up but offers a better ride feel.
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    JGSI wrote:
    FEC is not in the 'budget' zone...
    The Tacx Flow is FEC for around £200.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,510
    I have a Tacx Flow and a Tacx Flux.
    A Tacx Flow will be all that you need and, nicely, within your budget.
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    +1 for Tacx Flow Smart T2240
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    +2 for Tacx T2240
  • +3 for the Tacx Flow T2240, Got my'n from Hallfords with 10% discount = £180, its been great for the money!
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • doomanic
    2240 it is then. Thanks everyone.
  • Get yourself a 3m USB extension cable to get the Ant+ dongle as close to the trainer as possible, any cheap Amazon one should do.
    Paracyclist
    @Bigmitch_racing
    2010 Specialized Tricross (commuter)
    2014 Whyte T129-S
    2016 Specialized Tarmac Ultegra Di2
    Big Mitch - YouTube
  • Looks like il be getting a 2240 also hah! great thread.

Cheers guys,
    Alex
    https://alexreaderfitness.com/
  • EBEB
    EBEB Posts: 98
    I used to have a ‘dumb’ Tacx Flow; the devices are often advertised as simulating a uphill gradient of X, but if you look at the graph they can simulate X if you cycle up that gradient at 20mph. Even if you keep in the highest gear there are limits to the gradient it can simulate.

When I went ‘smart’ I saved up for a Tacx Bushido (no power cord was main reason) and even it can’t simulate low cadence grinds up really steep hills. If you spin up even the steepest hills then the only thing that matters is max sustained power. I don’t. I just can’t put out the same power now at low cadences & am having to specifically train it.
  • EBEB wrote:
    I used to have a ‘dumb’ Tacx Flow; the devices are often advertised as simulating a uphill gradient of X, but if you look at the graph they can simulate X if you cycle up that gradient at 20mph. Even if you keep in the highest gear there are limits to the gradient it can simulate.

When I went ‘smart’ I saved up for a Tacx Bushido (no power cord was main reason) and even it can’t simulate low cadence grinds up really steep hills. If you spin up even the steepest hills then the only thing that matters is max sustained power. I don’t. I just can’t put out the same power now at low cadences & am having to specifically train it.

show me anyone winning or better yet performing efficiently on a bike doing low cadence grinds.? It just means youve' got the wrong gear ratios!

Alternatively, in the max torque setting you can just change the gear up to make is 30-40rpm and you'll be happy?

Unless this is a wheel slippage isssue.
  • StillGoing
    EBEB wrote:

My first smart trainer was a TACX i-Flow followed by a TACX Bushido Smart. IMO, the i-Flow walked all over the Bushido. The Bushido was crap and couldn't wait to get shot of it. Shane Miller refuses to even write about it it is that bad in his opinion.