Saddles

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,032
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
My current saddle isn't comfortable. It is a Selle Italia randonneur. It is ok up to around 4 hours but afterwards I have to shift around all the time.

I have another bike with an old San Marco Rolls. I can ride this over 200km on a variety of surfaces and have no discomfort.

So I was thinking of getting the same saddle as it was re-released a few years back. However they are heavy and a bit dated looking. Should I consider other saddles? It would seem that saddle design has moved on since 1980.

I know it is subjective but just looking for ideas. I've obviously got a Rolls butt. Anyone else ride the Rolls?
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes you should consider others. Most decent LBSs will measure sit bones and do a variety of trial saddles which you can use after they've measured you up and selected what should work.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • bobones
    bobones Posts: 1,215
    I bought this one recently and it has been very comfortable for me. Nice looking, well made, lightish, and cheap! Worth a shot.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/cosine-ti-endur ... ad-saddle/
  • navrig2
    navrig2 Posts: 1,833
    Buy what is comfortable. A few extra grammes are easily worth the ride all day comfort.

When you are sitting on the bike no-one can see the saddle so what does it matter.
  • davidof
    Navrig2 wrote:

When you are sitting on the bike no-one can see the saddle so what does it matter.

That's true!
    Instagramme
  • mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    I used a Rolls through the 90s and early 2000s on all my bikes and it suited me well, including on two or three week camping tours. I still have a Rolls on one bike. A Brooks B17 titanium is now my favored saddle for my tourer. I get on really well with a Fizik Aliante VS with carbon braided rails on my road bike - so I think that may well be worth considering.
  • davidof
    Thanks guys!
    Instagramme
  • Try a Specialized Power saddle. It looks odd and too small but it essentially eliminates perineal discomfort by having a large central cutout and shortened front section. I have them on all of my bikes after I had a horrible time with standard saddle shapes. Good luck!
  • SHHH
    SHHH Posts: 22
    kromozome wrote:
    Try a Specialized Power saddle. It looks odd and too small but it essentially eliminates perineal discomfort by having a large central cutout and shortened front section. I have them on all of my bikes after I had a horrible time with standard saddle shapes. Good luck!

I'm with you. I go one step further and prefer saddles with the nose removed completely.
    My 2 saddles are Fizik Tritone for the aero bike (newer model is Mistica) and an ISM PS1 on the TT bike.
  • dannbodge
    dannbodge Posts: 1,152
    kromozome wrote:
    Try a Specialized Power saddle. It looks odd and too small but it essentially eliminates perineal discomfort by having a large central cutout and shortened front section. I have them on all of my bikes after I had a horrible time with standard saddle shapes. Good luck!

I love my Specialized power saddle.
    They are even better if you run an aggressive position
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    I have Fabric Scoop Elite Flat saddles on both my bikes and find then excellent, really comfortable and relatively cheap, that said saddles are a deeply personal thing so what may suit one person wont suit another
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!