Orange S.Pellegrino retro jersey color code

mzgadzaj
mzgadzaj Posts: 27
edited October 2017 in Road general
Not sure which forum this would fit best, here it goes then.

I am designing retro-inspired kit for my cycling group, and one of the inspirations is S.Pellegrino jersey.

The jersey will be (well, already is actually) orange, not sure though yet which hue to choose. I am hesitating between reddish orange offered natively by the design tool, official safety orange (Pantone 152 C) and S.Pellegrino's one (which seems to be pretty close to the native tool's one) - not quite sure what exactly it is, and using colour picker on web photos is not really the way to go.

I have sent an email to Prendas asking about the exact colour code, no response yet. Meanwhile then, perhaps someone here knows?

Comments

• I've got that jersey but I'm not sure where you'd find a colour code on it.

Don't B&Q do a matching service where they scan an item and match the paint? Now I know you don't want paint but it might be a start (even if you have to buy a sample pot)
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Ha, to scan the jersey I would need to have it first - which I don't. That's part of the reason for designing own kit, to not buy off-the-shelf design, even as retro and classy as this one. (Also, I believe I don't really have any B&Qs around here in Paris - though I'd suspect local DIY shops might offer a similar service.)

My current design's orange is perhaps a tad more red than S.Pellegrino, which I don't mind, I like it quite a lot really. As the rest of the group does. Just wanted to check the alternative hue out, but if no-one here knows, and Prendas won't answer, it's not the end of the world after all.
  • Why don't you email Santini? They make the jersey for Prendas.
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    It's near impossible to compare actual colours and computer screen colours and the first is subtractive colour (dyes and pigments remove colour from white) and the screen is additive colour (coloured light is added to black). It's best to go with Pantone or other sample sheets.

If you go to a print-shop or similar (art-supplies, some pro-decorators shops), they'll have pantone sheets. They can be expensive for books or fans but you should be able to get individual samples. Then use these codes when requesting colours. If they use something different to pantone, there are online converters to other schemes - just ensure it's a print range and not a web/screen range.

This tool can be useful for finding alternatives but only as a start as you need to see the print samples (bear in mind this one is aimed at paint):

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/

Alternatives:

http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Colour_alterna ... scription=
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Is there not a Pantone app on phones ?
  • Pantone 17-1463TCX ?
  • Emailing Santini directly - now that's a great idea which I have not thought of for whatever reason. Thanks thegreatdivide!

Thank you The_Wicker_Man as well! Now I wonder - do you know this is the one, or is it perhaps your guess?
  • mzgadzaj wrote:
    Emailing Santini directly - now that's a great idea which I have not thought of for whatever reason. Thanks thegreatdivide!

Thank you The_Wicker_Man as well! Now I wonder - do you know this is the one, or is it perhaps your guess?

Just a guess