wot? ...*ANY* excercise?

pbassred
pbassred Posts: 208
Weight-loss. Its a bugger, but it needs to be done. The way I see it, weight isn't just inversely proportional to hill climbing speed. Its worse. Not only do you need to fight your body weight to drag it up, but also you spend more time on the incline fighting gravity. Definitely more potential gains than bike weight. I'm carrying an excess that's more than the weight of my bike ..... and I mean the front sus' hibrid!

So, a while there was GCN video about cycling and weigh-loss. The message they gave was that if you do an intense work out for only 30min in the evening it pushes up the metabolism. That sounds reasonable, but since its not good to stress the same muscles everyday, could it be a different exercise? Running for instance, or squash? In which case, how do you relate the different effort levels? Heart rate?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Diet.
  • Raisins
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Diet is the key.

If I run 10 miles I burn 1000 calories. It takes a while.
    It's a lot easier to eat 1000 calories.
  • pbassred
    pbassred Posts: 208
    Yes. I know.
    But that wasn't the question.
  • joey54321
    joey54321 Posts: 1,297
    Train normally, fuel properly and cut out the crap. As the saying goes, "Move move, eat less, mostly vegetables" and you will lose weight. You can't really 'earn' a bad diet by doing more exercise.
  • Output has to be equal or greater than input.

For generic fitness, if you're exerting for some reasonable time each week and not over-eating then you're already good. Don't calorie count. It can lead to unsustainable habits.

If it is a cycling specific goal and you're already fairly fit, there's lots of online tools and calculators to estimate energy for an activity like tennis or futbol.
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    Raisins

Happy days
  • Other than diet as stated by most, the only exercise through which I lose fat i.e. a reduction in total body fat % is cycling, specifically high intensity training such as threshold/interval work. Have played a fair few sports down the years, some to a reasonable level, and none of them have the same effect as cycling does.

For me personally it is only the high intensity work that does this, not volume, as during winter months I tend to do a higher volume of training but at a far lower intensity and tend to walk around at around 10% bf. When I am training for events in spring and summer and start to actually reduce volume but increase intensity then my bf quickly drops by 2-3%. At the same time I am actually increasing calories so I can only assume that it is the physical activity rather than diet which is causing the decrease.

I guess everyone is different so you could find other activities which in combination with diet can help you lose weight but difficult to know.

• Don't calorie count. It can lead to unsustainable habits.

More nonsense from you
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,398
    pbassred wrote:
    That sounds reasonable, but since its not good to stress the same muscles everyday, could it be a different exercise? Running for instance, or squash? In which case, how do you relate the different effort levels? Heart rate?
    Yes is the short answer, the variety in training will also help to keep it interesting. Yes Diet is a component but you can also train

• Don't calorie count. It can lead to unsustainable habits.

More nonsense from you

I won't say it then, how about some doctors and scientists. They don't know anything. I'm not good with jest, but surely you do.
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/features/dos ... calories#3

"The formula is still correct," Aldana tells WebMD, but since it's hard to count calories outside the lab, you may want to pursue other methods of policing your energy intake. "
    "Instead of counting calories, eat smaller portions. "
    "Instead of counting calories, choose foods that use more calories. "
    "Instead of counting calories, make sure you consume the right kind. "
  • cgfw201
    cgfw201 Posts: 674
    diets all work if you stick to them.

to lose weight, eat less and do more.

it works, can be as complicated or as simple as you like, but it really is not hard to lose weight if you are disciplined.