4700 v 5700

JesseD
JesseD Posts: 1,961
edited October 2017 in Road buying advice
I am looking to change the crossbike from Sram to Shimano as I prefer the shifting action, however as my wheels on the cross bike are 10 speed only I was looking at Shimano 105 5700 initially second hand which got me wondering if new Tiagra would be a better bet?

Any/much difference between the functionality of Tiagra 4700 and 105 5700 shifting and braking?

Its going to be used with mechanical TRP Spyre calipers
Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!

Comments

• arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    JesseD wrote:
    I am looking to change the crossbike from Sram to Shimano as I prefer the shifting action, however as my wheels on the cross bike are 10 speed only I was looking at Shimano 105 5700 initially second hand which got me wondering if new Tiagra would be a better bet?

Any/much difference between the functionality of Tiagra 4700 and 105 5700 shifting and braking?

Its going to be used with mechanical TRP Spyre calipers

4700 over 5700 IMHO. The 4700 has the new long arm front derailleur similar to the 105 5800. Makes for much better front shifting. Also have heard stories that the 5700 had a reputation for chewing cables in the shifters tho I did not experience that myself when I was running 5700. I have 5800 on my bike now and the FD shifts much more smoothly than the short arm FD on the 5700 I had previously. Never ridden 4700 but I expect it to function in a similar way to 5800
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Yeah, I'd take 4700, I've had both (still riding the 4700).

5700 isn't bad exactly - it feels fine when new - but it soon gums up, and yeah, the front shift requires a lot of force.

If you can't afford 4700 have a look for older externally routed ten speed (eg 105 5600 or tiagra 4600) - the cables are unsightly but on a cross bike which is likely to get wet/muddy it might be a sacrifice worth making for ease of cable replacement.
  • wheels 10sp only..... new wheels then, surely!
  • JesseD
    wheels 10sp only..... new wheels then, surely!

Ha Ha, I can see that going down like a lead balloon with the wife, only just managed to get her agreement for me to change my race bike for next year, had to make a lot of concessions for that one, new wheels may be the straw that broke the camels back.

Definitely want the cables under the tape, I know it would irritate me looking at the messy front end all the time with the older Shimano stuff, good to know the 4700 works just as well if not a little better than the 5700!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    New Ultegra R8000 with the 34 tooth sprocket cassette is 10 speed wheel compatible........
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    SRAM is better for a cross bike, it gets less clogged up on the mechs due to more clearance. I'd stick to sram if you can
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    JesseD wrote:

Ha Ha, I can see that going down like a lead balloon with the wife

Well don’t tell her then, get them delivered to work, cycle in, swap them over and ride home. She’ll never know. Not that I’d do that of course :roll:
  • Svetty wrote:
    New Ultegra R8000 with the 34 tooth sprocket cassette is 10 speed wheel compatible........
    Because everyone needs a 34t. Might as well get an ebike
  • JesseD
    Hanners wrote:
    SRAM is better for a cross bike, it gets less clogged up on the mechs due to more clearance. I'd stick to sram if you can

Just hate the shifting action of SRAM, can't seem to get used to it and spend a lot of time mis-shifting, something I never do with Shimano.

Only SRAM I would go for would be etap, but that's a little out of my budget. :(
  • JesseD
    ChippyK wrote:
    JesseD wrote:

Ha Ha, I can see that going down like a lead balloon with the wife

Well don’t tell her then, get them delivered to work, cycle in, swap them over and ride home. She’ll never know. Not that I’d do that of course :roll:

Let's hope your wife never finds your bike radar account or you're so busted :lol: