Post Rapha clothing

earth
earth Posts: 934
edited November 2017 in Road buying advice
When Rapha began I bought a softshell jacket. It has served well for the last 10 years or so. It looks pretty shabby now so I ordered the new winter jacket. Now that I think about it the softshell jacket is the only Rapha product that I have been satisfied with. Most of them have some flaw or other and the Winter jacket is no exception. In fact it is so fatally flawed that I am returning it.

The back pockets are so high on the back that I challenge Harry Houdini to reach around and get something out without spraining his wrist. Not to mention its not long enough at the back and it rides up when you raise your arms to hold the bars. It's unfortunate because other than that it does look like a good jacket and I'm disappointed that I will not be using it. But not being able to get anything out of the pockets without taking the jacket off is a deal breaker. I can't imagine how they could have failed to discover this.

The question is what to get instead?. Being acceptable to wear on and off the bike is very useful. If only it was suitable. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Torm do great stuff. Really original designs and they pioneered sportingwool. I like Aldi jackets too.
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Torm do great stuff. Really original designs and they pioneered sportingwool. I like Aldi jackets too.

Torm only appear to make Jerseys. I'm after a jacket.
  • redvision
    redvision Posts: 2,958
    Have a look at benders reviews:
    viewtopic.php?f=40013&t=13039887

IIRC he rates the dhb aeron jacket very highly.

Personally the best winter jacket I have ever bought is the Castelli Alpha. They appear to have improved it this year as well... although with a hefty price increase. This said, its not exactly casual bike wear...
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Pro Team Softshell? As above less casual than it used to be, and Bender will suggest cheaper versions that are as good if not better.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • My Alé Bering PRR jacket is superb. The Alé approach to colour schemes might not be for everyone though :D
  • xixang
    xixang Posts: 235
    +1 for alpha jacket (and jersey, I have both)
  • earth wrote:
    Torm do great stuff. Really original designs and they pioneered sportingwool. I like Aldi jackets too.

Plus they didn't pioneer sportswool ;)
  • meesterbond
    meesterbond Posts: 1,240
    Personally I wouldn't ride in anything less than Chpt.3 nowadays... Rapha's just so passé
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Assos Bonka if you can stomach the cost.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,489
    I have the obligatory long sleeve perfetto and also a Gore Oxygen 2.0 GT AS Jacket - which is a very good hard shell outer and you can layer as wanted underneath.

Stolen goat seem to get good review.
  • Torm
    Torm Posts: 234
    earth wrote:

That's right, we didn't...it was David and Clare Hieatt when they ran Howies and went on to set up Hiut denim...which are great jeans !
  • Torm wrote:
    earth wrote:

That's right, we didn't...it was David and Clare Hieatt when they ran Howies and went on to set up Hiut denim...which are great jeans !
    At that price they want to be better than great
  • Torm wrote:
    earth wrote:

Aye sure they did https://csiropedia.csiro.au/sportwool/
  • grenw
    grenw Posts: 803
    xixang wrote:
    +1 for alpha jacket (and jersey, I have both)

Another vote here. Racing fit and only for the really cold days.