Six Day cycling- London

davesnothere
davesnothere Posts: 620
edited November 2017 in Pro race
Have been fortunate enough to be given a pair of tickets for next Friday night

It says doors open at 17:30 but I can't see anywhere what time the actual racing starts. Anybody been before and know approx what time it gets underway?

Thanks
GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™

Comments

• Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,876
    IIRC there may be a junior race or two when the doors open with the proper racing getting going from around 6-630 pm.
    It's a great night out - going on Thursday - row 1 near the start / finish line!
  • Dorset_Boy
    The events on the night are here:
    http://sixday.com/london/event-schedule/
  • Thanks, looking forward to it.

My dad bought the tickets and double booked himself so he gave them to me. He went last year and said it was excellent
    GET WHEEZY - WALNUT LUNG RACING TEAM™
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    I’m there on Friday night too
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    My daughter is working behind the bar at the event.

If you give me your orders for the interval, I'll see if I can VIP you to the front of the queue.
    Half man, Half bike
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    She has just sent me this pic of Cav training there this morning...

DMqOeifWkAAgQV3.jpg
    Half man, Half bike
  • Couple of questions. What is a tempo race? And do laps taken in events other than in Madison chases count for the overall?
  • Dorset_Boy
    Any laps taken count, except I think in the derney races. Laps were taken in the scratch race last night for example (or maybe not credited according to the results...)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    Couple of questions. What is a tempo race?
    It's like a points race but the difference being that one point is given to the first rider across the line every lap. Laps can be gained as normal.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • andylav
    andylav Posts: 308
    Makes for a fantastic spectacle on TV - can only imagine how good it must be trackside.

Enjoy
  • Im going to this on Sunday.
    Inner ring.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Off tonight. Been the last two years as well and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's not quite Ghent, but the train journey is a bit shorter!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Thanks for the answers. I’m off tonight and tomorrow. Hope everyone has a great time! :D
  • Dorset_Boy
    Great fun last night - front row, 5m from the Start finish line.
    Cav will be pissed with the French who needlessly prevented him from a lap by attacking too early, plus unclipping again in the derney - was he given a lap out, because if he was, he won the race even though it was given to the dutch(?), but suspect they didn't give it to him!
    Food choices and prices are fine, though we ate in the Westfield centre beforehand, beer £5/pint is Ok, and the boy 'earnt' £26 returning other people's empties!
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Haha - I did actually suggest to my 11yr old he do the same, but he was a bit shy !!!!

Was a great night of racing last night, even my wife enjoyed it and she normally hates sporting events.
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Great fun last night - front row, 5m from the Start finish line.
    Cav will be pissed with the French who needlessly prevented him from a lap by attacking too early, plus unclipping again in the derney - was he given a lap out, because if he was, he won the race even though it was given to the dutch(?), but suspect they didn't give it to him!
    Food choices and prices are fine, though we ate in the Westfield centre beforehand, beer £5/pint is Ok, and the boy 'earnt' £26 returning other people's empties!

most other venues with that system do now limit you to returning only 4 per person. £5 is reasonable, though Im assuming its Amstel given the sponsorship.

Kirby is doing my head in though on the commentary,Im not sure what races he is watching, maybe he is actually in a different velodrome
  • Dorset_Boy
    Key on the returns is never to try to return more than 5 at a time! There are also probably 50+ beers sellers so you can move between them too!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    £5 for a beer and cabaret tables in the centre just shows how far they have missed the point of 6 Day Racing....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    ddraver wrote:
    £5 for a beer and cabaret tables in the centre just shows how far they have missed the point of 6 Day Racing....
    Isn't £5 a cheap pint in London? It seems fairly normal for a sporting event
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • type:epyt
    type:epyt Posts: 766
    £5 a pint is the normal in Edinburgh ... So going to London or Zurich is no more of a concern ... Even Yorkshire is £4.50 ...
    Life is unfair, kill yourself or get over it.
  • ducknumber1
    ducknumber1 Posts: 1,155
    type:epyt wrote:
    £5 a pint is the normal in Edinburgh ... So going to London or Zurich is no more of a concern ... Even Yorkshire is £4.50 ...

For non-Yorkshire folk sure (I'm adopted/naturalised),I'd be hard pressed to part with £4 for a pint, even in the smoke.
  • Ben6899
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Still about the maximum you'll pay unless you go to one of these wanky chain bars like All Bar One, where they seem to think it's appropriate to charge nearly £6 for a pint of Peroni.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    Ben6899 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Still about the maximum you'll pay unless you go to one of these wanky chain bars like All Bar One, where they seem to think it's appropriate to charge nearly £6 for a pint of Peroni.

depends where you go, theres always a Wetherspoons or a Sam Smiths for cheaper beer, but even really off the beaten track pubs away from tourist areas (try getting a beer for less than £5 around Covent Garden,the West End or away from the city mile) that youd need to know were there to get to, Id expect to pay minimum £4.50 for a standard average beer in London, I usually budget upto £6 per beer and I dont end up with a lot of spare change after a night out in London.

£5, for the liquid alone I assume, not + the cup deposit, is about the norm for sporting events in London, though I think it was nearer £5.50 at the cricket this last year,+ £1 for the cup, I know the NFL at Twickers is roughly similar, also do the cup thing, as was Wembley.

anyway no discussion about the actual racing ?
  • Ben6899
    My secret is to stick to local pubs in Zone 2 - community, proper pubs, no tourists, reasonable prices.

Anyway, yes, ahem, the racing was great on Friday - a brilliant advertisement for Track cycling!
    Ben

• Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    edited October 2017
    Just dropped by to see what people thought of tonight, but apparently price of a pint is the most notable thing.
    When I were a lad.....
    But having left the midlands 30 odd years ago I barely notice until it’s over £5 now.

Cav & Pete gave it a good go, and seemed happy enough to make the podium.
  • flasher
    flasher Posts: 1,734
    Some pics from the other night, had a great evening.

59e.jpg

44e.jpg

46e.jpg
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 4,993
    ^Good stuff Flasher.

If only you could have pursuaded #3 to drop back a bit in pic3...
  • greasedscotsman
    greasedscotsman Posts: 6,962
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, great photos Flasher. I went a bit more "arty".

38003771812_a72c27b1d7_z.jpg

38034336671_a3ebaeb33d_z.jpg

24187344848_882d80f272_z.jpg
  • Despite having a hangover from hell, last night was so much fun for a track spectator noobie.

I was in the inner circle track side/ VIP tickets. Free unlimited beer and food (which was really good!) and access to all riders if they came into the VIP area. I don’t think Cav came out but Peter was walking in every so often to speak to friends and family. The New Zealand sprinters were having a laugh and party with everyone. If I wasn’t so hungover from a Halloween party on Sat night, I would have eaten and drank more, shame last orders was 7.30pm.

The noise from Peter and Cav’s last few laps on the 1hr ride was so loud. Id go again if our group is up for it.