Tubelss advice

arix36
arix36 Posts: 67
edited November 2017 in MTB general
Hi guys iam going to give tubelss a go using my e13 tubelss rims and maxxis high roller II tyres (not tubeless ready) ive been told this will work. Ian going to be using the e13 valve. My question is will this work and what would be the best sealant to use.

Many thanks Anthony

Comments

• JGTR
    JGTR Posts: 1,404
    Yes it will work, Stans is the standard sealant that most people use, although there are some newer sealants on the market now.
  • arix36
    Oh brilliant thank you. that will save me buying new tyres. Any thing I should be watching out for regarding set up
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Rim taping.....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • arix36
    The Rookie wrote:
    Rim taping.....

Yeah i had thought about that however luckily my rims came pre taped with e13 rim tape so all i need is some sealant and valves probably going to use e13 stuff all the way its got good reviews
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Non tubeless Maxxis tyres will work but you'll probably find it will lose air over time (might go flat over a week) and will need more sealant in the first place
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • arix36
    dusk wrote:
    Non tubeless Maxxis tyres will work but you'll probably find it will lose air over time (might go flat over a week) and will need more sealant in the first place

Good to know it will work ive ordered a set of e13 valves and 1ltr of e13 sealant so should be ok. They recommend 125ml per tyre so how much more would you suggest i add? I only intend running this set up until I need to replace the tyres. I wasn't into throwing away a perfectly good set of new tyres.
  • dusk
    dusk Posts: 583
    Just try a bit more sealant in the first instance, when I took my non TR Maxxis tyre off my UST wheel it was covered in dry sealant round the bead where the air would leak. You can hear if a tyre still has any liquid seal remaining if you give it a shake.
    YT Wicked 160 ltd
    Cotic BFe
    DMR Trailstar
    Canyon Roadlite
  • arix36
    Thanks for the advice ive set it up last night added 20ml more than recommend. All went together really nicely. And still inflated this morning so fingers crossed all is well. First ride out tomorrow
    Quite interested to see how different the bike handles