Help, rear deraileaur

Andymaxy
Andymaxy Posts: 197
edited October 2017 in Workshop
I'm running into some issue on my RD, the high/low limits are set up correctly. But when I put the chain in smallest cog, the first couple clicks on the shifter did not change the gear. So I increased the cable tension. But now it takes me only 8 clicks from smallest cog to the biggest (I have 11spd 105), so some of the gears in the middle were skipped. When I lower the cable tension again, the first couple clicks in smallest cog wouldn't shift again. This is getting really annoying, and I'm suspecting that there's some issue with my shifter rather than derailleur, I think the cable is being pulled very unequal distance between shifts.

I'm not new to working on bikes, I have quite a bit of experience in the past, but I've never ran into problems like this.

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Check what state the cable is in at the shifter end...undo the cable at rear mech and feed it out a bit at the shifter. Make sure you are in smallest cog or at least you think you are...if things have become that 'detached'
  • Andymaxy
    JGSI wrote:
    Check what state the cable is in at the shifter end...undo the cable at rear mech and feed it out a bit at the shifter. Make sure you are in smallest cog or at least you think you are...if things have become that 'detached'

I wish it was that easy, anyways I forgot to mention that the reason why I need to readjust it is that I replaced the chain and fully recabled my bike.
  • jgsi
    Right, then back to basics... undo it all... and then connect up... make sure your cable routing is sweet.
    You can check a shifter for 'clicks' by running thru the gears with no cable attached, by clicking up and counting, then down again. If my maths is correct for 11 speed that would make 10 clicks.
  • Andymaxy
    I've done that plenty of times, idk I give up
    Maybe it's the first time I need to take a bike into a bike sho for like 10 years. Or a new bike.
  • jgsi
    New bike is good....however are you sure that the cable is not getting snagged somewhere?
  • Andymaxy
    It's brand new as I've just replaced it, it's not the first time I've worked on cables and stuff. I have a parktool cutter that creates a fairly clean cut, I honestly don't know what it's doing this.

And that's why I'm trying to get a di2 on my mext race bike, so I don't have to spend time and money dealing with these things.

But anyways thanks a lot for helping me
  • jgsi
    eTap in a word ;-)
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Andymaxy wrote:
    It's brand new as I've just replaced it, it's not the first time I've worked on cables and stuff. I have a parktool cutter that creates a fairly clean cut, I honestly don't know what it's doing this.

And that's why I'm trying to get a di2 on my mext race bike, so I don't have to spend time and money dealing with these things.

But anyways thanks a lot for helping me

Seriously?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.