Too large?

armandbig33
armandbig33 Posts: 20
edited October 2017 in MTB general
Hello there!
2.5 months ago I bought my first mtb, a hardtail from scott it's the size xl.
Now the problem is that a week ago I stumbled upon some internet site that showed me my actual bike frame size.
I am 14 176.5 cm tall and weight around 60 kilo.
Is there any major disadvamtage for me with a frame that is probably 2 or 1 sizes too big?

I want to be able to bunny hop, manual, do drops and of course ride some light trails (mostly XC).
Will this somehow take away from my learning efficency?
Should I return it to get another bike?(If still possible)

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    Yes. Return it and get a smaller one.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Awright that was fast....
    Let's see if they're gonna take it back and give me a full refund.

So I should understand that it does make my learning slower?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I doubt they will give you a refund on a used bike.

And a big frame has nothing to do with learning deficiencies, although I'm not sure that's what you mean.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes, it will make it much harder to handle and you won't be able to ride that properly. Have you tried doing a Manual?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • JBA
    JBA Posts: 2,852
    The bike won’t make your learning slower as that is down to your ability and perseverance.
    However, a bike that is too big (and yours almost definitely is) will severely limit your ability to carry out manoeuvres. You won’t have enough room to move the bike around underneath you and you may be at full stretch all the time so your arm movements will be restricted.

Did the shop advise you to buy an XL?
    “Life has been unfaithful
    And it all promised so so much”

Giant Trance 2 27.5 2016 ¦ Sonder Broken Road 2021¦ Giant Revolt Advanced 2 2019 ¦ Giant Toughtroad SLR 1 2019 ¦ Giant Anthem 3 2015 ¦ Specialized Myka Comp FSR 2009
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Won't you grow into it ?