Upgrading a Baseline Bike

jbsnook2000
jbsnook2000 Posts: 2
edited October 2017 in Road general
Hi All,

I am new to road biking and bought the baseline 2018 Specialized Allez. My question is, what can I reasonable do as far as upgrades to the bike to make it better/last longer? What parts should I focus on upgrading first?

Thanks!

Comments

• fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    upgrade the bits that wear out first ... ie, when your wheels fall apart, buy better wheels ... or upgrade the bits you dont like at the moment.

ie, are you happy with your gearing ? .... are you happy with the saddle/pedals/brakes ???
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,584
    Contrary to what you may have read on cycling websites, there is absolutely no need or reason to start "upgrading" a brand new bike.

Just get out and ride the bike and enjoy it. You can replace parts as and when they wear out.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Replacing new parts with more new parts that might last longer (many times more expensive parts will be lighter, but wear quicker) seems a bit silly.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Harry182
    Harry182 Posts: 1,169
    Keeping your bike clean, lubricated and well serviced will maximise its lifespan.

Best bang-for-your-buck upgrade is usually tires.
  • timbo_tim
    timbo_tim Posts: 199
    I agree with all the above but I would say, having just bought the same bike, the wheels and tyres are pretty heavy c 2.5kg from memory. A cheap set of Khamsins and some decent tyres would be my suggestion if you are keen to spend, but not huge £££. Might be worth running the stock ones into the ground over winter though
  • Upgrade your vocabulary - it's called 'cycling'.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Aren't we posh...
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools