Advice: sprung saddle stem

Cotterend
Cotterend Posts: 73
edited October 2017 in Road general
I have two prolapsed lumbar discs which are not settling quickly. As it happens, cycling remains the only way I have of moving and keeping fit. I can't climb, but I can mosey along the flat without any bother.

I'm a little concerned about road shock on my damaged discs, though. My carbon composite Giant Defy is pretty smooth, but it can still be a bit of a hammering on the lower spine over a rough stretch of road.

I'm wondering about fitting a sprung seat post. Do they exist for road bikes? For the Defy's shaped carbon seat tube? Do they work?

The alternatives seem to be gel saddles and gel pads but I hate pads, never use them and they wouldn't seem to ever offer much in the real cushioning.

Can anyone advise?

Louise

Comments

• cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    How wide can you Go on your tyres ? Fatter and lower the psi the better I think.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    I'm a little sceptical that anything other than larger volume tyres run at lower pressure would help much TBH. That and avoiding poor road surfaces and easing yourself off the saddle when you anticipate a 'bump'.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • cougie wrote:
    How wide can you Go on your tyres ? Fatter and lower the psi the better I think.

I've taken the tyres down from my usual 7.5 to 6.5 bar, the minimum is marked at 6 bar so that leaves a little margin between checking. I hadn't thought of wider tyres, these are 23mm, which isn't very wide, I suppose. I need to look into bigger tyres, see if the bike will take it.

I'm trying to spot the bad surfaces before I hit them, becoming proficient on lifting from the saddle, and developing my stamina for standing to pedal, which seems to be good for my back, bizarrely.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,498
    There are all sorts out there. Sure, they are marketed for MTBs but there's no reason they can't be used on the road.

Yes, they'll change the feel a bit, but if its that or not cycle, then its that, surely.

I don't know if they are still about, but another option would be a beam frame. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=beam+ ... 80&bih=610

I remember when I used to do some crits I got a good beating by an old guy riding a pink Softride. Pink I tell you. Actually they were pretty cool bikes, but snuffed out by the Luddies at the UCI.
  • Another (more costly) alternative to sprung stems is Specialized CG-R seatpost, with an elastimer insert.

It's not sprung, but has (IME) taken the buzz and worst stings out of the road.