Quarq GXP torque seems massive

shockedsoshocked
shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
edited October 2017 in Road general
Just checking before I go out and buy a new, larger torque wrench, the Quarq GXP wants you to torque it to 48-52nm which seems a lot to me.

Am I just being soft and it will be fine as per manufacturer instructions?
"A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,516
    that is the correct torque for gxp, just follow the instructions
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • foggymike
    foggymike Posts: 862
    It's just a tiny bit more than the torque for a shimano rear cassette lockring. It's not that much really, just high compared to seatpost, stem etc. Either way that's what it needs!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    erm..... :D
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Isn't it 15nm for a 10mm
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • buckmulligan
    buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
    Yeah, it's ~50 Nm for the 8mm bolt that actually fixes the crank arm in place and then around ~15 Nm for the 10 mm locknut-cap-type thing that tightens on top. Make sure that you do up both and when you come to remove it try to remember to loosen off the 10 mm lockcap before the 8mm fixing bolt otherwise you won't get very far and you'll likely damage it.

As others have said though, ~50 Nm is fine, it's a fairly beefy nut-bolt combo that's being fastened there. And 50 Nm is within the fairly standard range of values for threaded BBs, cranks, cassette lockrings and the like. You could probably get away with less torque but the last thing you want is the crank arm falling off when you're cranking out 1000W :lol:
  • Svetty wrote:

I get how it sounds, but it's the first time I've had to torque anything up on a bike to this amount!
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • proto
    proto Posts: 1,483
    Svetty wrote:

I get how it sounds, but it's the first time I've had to torque anything up on a bike to this amount!

You should try the rear axle nut on a Honda Fireblade - 120nm :shock: :D
  • It's not a lot of torque. If you were to stand on the end of a 1m bar on a wheel nut and the bar was parallel with the ground, you'd put approx 580-590Nm on the wheel nut if you weighed 60kgs. That doesn't take into account friction or other factors.
    It seems a lot compared to what you are used to, the force you normally feel in your hand on a shorter bar etc.
    The items will take the torque.