Don't be a d!ck. Point your lights down.

1235»

Comments

• urso
    urso Posts: 14
    Not sure you needed to use that language but thank you for pointing this out. I've never thought about it and use a very bright light. Will definitely start pointing my light to about 10 feet in front of me.
  • urso wrote:
    Not sure you needed to use that language but thank you for pointing this out. I've never thought about it and use a very bright light. Will definitely start pointing my light to about 10 feet in front of me.

What's wrong with calling someone duck?
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    urso wrote:

Its very anti avian.
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    urso wrote:

Its very anti avian.
    Anatidaephobia!
    anatidaephobia.jpg
  • wolfsbane2k
    bompington wrote:
    Anatidaephobia!
    anatidaephobia.jpg
    :lol:
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    It's that time of year again.
  • It's that time of year again.

Equally guys (which it almost always is) with bright lights on Epilepsy mode, in truely dark parks or head on gloomy shared paths, they must not be able to see much them selfs?
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078

Equally guys (which it almost always is) with bright lights on Epilepsy mode, in truely dark parks or head on gloomy shared paths, they must not be able to see much them selfs?
    That's why you by Exposure lights that have the pulse mode.
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,584
    What time of year do we point our lights up? :lol:
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • elbowloh wrote:

That's why you by Exposure lights that have the pulse mode.

I have two, while oncoming the pulse is good, I dislike it as a front light for seeing since it is still pulsing the amount of light, I like it for the rear though since in my mind it is the best of both ie flashing/constant.
  • prhymeate
    prhymeate Posts: 793
    Does anyone have recommendations for any kind of tape or something that can be used to cover lights and reduce their brightness? I was given an Fly12 but am hesitant about using it as it's so bright. Even on the lowest of the three brightness settings I think it's too much for city commuting.
  • ryan_w-2
    ryan_w-2 Posts: 1,162
    Just fitted my 32,000 lumen flood light today.

CS8 will look like a calling for Batman this winter.

You have been warned.....
    Specialized Allez Sprint Disc --- Specialized S-Works SL7

IG: RhinosWorkshop
  • Prhymeate wrote:
    Does anyone have recommendations for any kind of tape or something that can be used to cover lights and reduce their brightness? I was given an Fly12 but am hesitant about using it as it's so bright. Even on the lowest of the three brightness settings I think it's too much for city commuting.

Do you have anywhere you can park the bike up with the light on and try? I used to use a ped railway bridge on my old commute to test, how unpleasant my Magicshine is, the answer is very! Hence using it like a full beam in places I need to see, and a blinkie for places I where I don’t want to blind others.

Depending how hot it gets? Tape possibly may not be a good idea, the other thing is people can be over critical about bike lights, I assume since they simply don’t expect bikes to have bright lights, I get blinded by cars often 4x4 or vans etc far more often than bikes.
  • tincaman
    tincaman Posts: 508
    Prhymeate wrote:

Scotch Magic tape works for this as it has a matt finish and also diffuses the lightbeam as well

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?306235-Surefire-Beam-Diffuser-vs-Scotch-tape-some-interesting-results
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Pulled alongside a cyclist this evening and told them, that their light set up was a terrible idea. They responded with why? I then explained that by having 2 or 3 bright front lights at the back of the bike was blinding to the traffic and that motorists cannot judge (or expect) the distance when having bright lights at the back.

All things considered they took the advice well, only remains to be seen if they heed it.
  • Have lost count of those i've been encouraging to sort their lights out, most really just don't realise. Else the ones in the park must know they're being massive c+nts, more than happy to shout at them.
    If I know you, and I like you, you can borrow my bike box for £30 a week. PM for details.
  • Prhymeate wrote:

Do you have anywhere you can park the bike up with the light on and try? I used to use a ped railway bridge on my old commute to test, how unpleasant my Magicshine is, the answer is very! Hence using it like a full beam in places I need to see, and a blinkie for places I where I don’t want to blind others.

Depending how hot it gets? Tape possibly may not be a good idea, the other thing is people can be over critical about bike lights, I assume since they simply don’t expect bikes to have bright lights, I get blinded by cars often 4x4 or vans etc far more often than bikes.
    tincaman wrote:
    Scotch Magic tape works for this as it has a matt finish and also diffuses the lightbeam as well

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?306235-Surefire-Beam-Diffuser-vs-Scotch-tape-some-interesting-results

Cheers for the replies. Might give the Scotch Magic tape a go. I haven't done any specific tests on the light, but just noticed that even on the lowest mode it's about twice as bright as my Moon Mask 5 and reflects off road signs that are a long way from me. Also I practically blinded a car load of people as the driver to my left was waiting to turn out of a side road. They all put their hands up to their eyes. It's good to be seen, but I don't want to impair the vision of other road users.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Prhymeate wrote:

Best bet is not to diffuse it, but re-direct it. Look at Freznel lenses, grab a couple of different ones from amazon/fleabay.
    Mount the light pointing down a dark lane, Cover the bottom 1/3 of the light with thick card, then try different effects/pieces of lenses to see if you can find the right point to direct the light down and out, rather than up.
    Play with the bounds of the thick cardboard and the freznel lens to get something you like.
    Then remove the cardboard, and see if you still like the effect.
    Mark on the lens exactly where it's mounted, cut and glue it to the light...

Basically, your mimicking this.
    https://tacticalreviews.co.uk/wp/?p=534

I followed the process with a cateye nanoshot, and used 3 different lenses to shape the beam down and out. Must take a picture of the setup.
  • Hey guys, if you're having to stop to fix your bike, please make sure you turn your bike away from the direction traffic is coming from.

Yesterday I was driving along the only truly dark section of my commute (I do it on bike and car). It was an uphill bit with a slight bend. Two roadies were stopped having the traffic with all their lights on full while one was fixing his bike or some other activity. They must have been going the opposite direction but there's no footway that side so they crossed over. Now those lights were not dipped and went straight into my eyes. I could not see anything other than retina burning light.

I can tell you straight I could easily drive straight through them because I had to look away. I had no idea where the road was. I did my feel safe at all.

So please, please, please will every cyclist think about the direction their bike is pointing when stopped on n the pavement. Turn your bike to the direction you'd ride on the side you're at. Simple courtesy but it's got serious safety issues.

A mate witnessed a truck drive over the top of a car when he crested a hill southbound on an very sunny day. He was blinded by the low level sun shining suddenly into his eyes and it caused a wobble in his driving towards the verge and the car. I did something similar last night.
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,121
    Passed someone with 4 magicshines tonight on full whack, I kid you not! I was blinded by the reflection off my glasses after I'd passed.

OK this was at Llandegla Forest, but the guy was going at walking pace up a straight, wide fire road. Maybe the weight of all those lights and battery packs was weighing him down.

The sky was clear, the moon was out. I turned my lights off and could easily see where I was going. It was lovely.