Tour route 2018

Comments

• epc06
    epc06 Posts: 214
    So, excluding Tom, who's Froome's biggest rival gonna be?

Quintana?
    Nibali?
    Bardet?

None of the above?

Seriously, why is Quintana still talked about as a contender? I can only assume its a dearth of genuine rivals to Froome.
    He's the new Gesink
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    EPC06 wrote:

Quintana?
    Nibali?
    Bardet?

None of the above?

Seriously, why is Quintana still talked about as a contender? I can only assume its a dearth of genuine rivals to Froome.
    He's the new Gesink
    Because he's actually managed to win two Grand Tours, one of which had Froome in second place. And despite appearances, he's still only 27.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    At 326km, this is a little too much.

DM-_dUgW4AAmAaw.jpg:large

Though IMAGINE how EPIC it'd be.

I mean, they'd be on their knees. Properly.

Circle of death, plus 90km.
  • RichN95 wrote:
    EPC06 wrote:

Quintana?
    Nibali?
    Bardet?

None of the above?

He's the new Gesink
    Because he's actually managed to win two Grand Tours, one of which had Froome in second place. And despite appearances, he's still only 27.

Plus 4 other Grand Tour podiums.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,877
    At 326km, this is a little too much.

DM-_dUgW4AAmAaw.jpg:large

Though IMAGINE how EPIC it'd be.

I mean, they'd be on their knees. Properly.

Circle of death, plus 90km.

170kms or more is downhill though.... :D
  • RichN95.
    The winner of that 326km stage was relegated for irregular sprinting (in a four man sprint). The 6th place rider was 36 minutes behind them (the Tour was decided by points* not time that year)

*Actually adding the stage finishing positions together
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Quintana?
    Nibali?
    Bardet?

None of the above?

Bardet.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    RichN95 wrote:
    Someone just posted this on twitter - the first ever Pyreenean stage in 1910. At 289km one for Rick 'The Tank' Chasey

DM-67Y-X4AAlAaJ.jpg

Winning route that one.

...and that's all before lunch!
    Half man, Half bike
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    Dorset Boy wrote:
    Quintana could be out of contention after day one if we get a decent wind and some echelons! He doesn't seem very good at that type of riding. I also think he'll ship a load of time on the cobbles and will struggle on the other dirt tracks that have been included. I'''m also not sure his team particularly like riding for him.
    Every time there's been echelons in the Tour that Quintana has ridden, he's made the same group as the rest of the favourites except in 2015, when he lost 1:30 to Froome and Contador on the opening road stage in the Netherlands. So he can handle himself in echelons.
  • rick_chasey

Quintana?
    Nibali?
    Bardet?

None of the above?

Bardet.

Interesting. How come?
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Mikel Nieve, though like Froome is getting on, the cobbles section will define the race, if its wet.

Would love to see Contador change his mind though :)
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    andyp wrote:
    Every time there's been echelons in the Tour that Quintana has ridden, he's made the same group as the rest of the favourites except in 2015, when he lost 1:30 to Froome and Contador on the opening road stage in the Netherlands. So he can handle himself in echelons.
    Not true since he lost time to Froome in 2016's Stage 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_l7mlUaTSA

He was lucky the time loss wasn't bigger.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • RichN95.
    M.R.M. wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    Not true since he lost time to Froome in 2016's Stage 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_l7mlUaTSA

He was lucky the time loss wasn't bigger.
    That was more Froome gaining time rather than Quintana losing it.

In reality echelons have occured and stuck on only a couple of occasions - so the data set is far too small to draw conclusions
  • rick_chasey
    Movistar as a team are fairly fast on the flat.

You won't see them trying to break the peloton apart, but they can put in a decent TTT and can smash it at the right time to get in the right place.

I'd back Quintana as part of movistar to survive an echelon stage over someone like Aru or Bardet.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786

You won't see them trying to break the peloton apart, but they can put in a decent TTT and can smash it at the right time to get in the right place.

I'd back Quintana as part of movistar to survive an echelon stage over someone like Aru or Bardet.

That's all fine and dandy, unless Froome is two minutes up the road....
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,719
    inseine wrote:

That's all fine and dandy, unless Froome is two minutes up the road....

Froome has come on a lot but let's not get carried away, he's not a potential Belgian classics winner and while I'd favour him on cobbles or crosswinds over Quintana it's not impossible for Froome himself to get caught out. As Rick says I suspect Bardet, Aru and some others may be more susceptible to losing significant time before the mountains.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    Movistar are a real A list team remember.

Not quite Sky level, but they're pretty good. They just don't all speak English.
  • inseine

Not quite Sky level, but they're pretty good. They just don't all speak English.

Agreed. For the 2018 Tour people have talked about chosing a team for the flat lands and cobbles, for the mountains and for the TTT, not forgetting that it's only 8 riders. What SKY has is riders like Thomas, Kwia, Moscon and Kennaugh who are pretty good at all disciplines.
  • rick_chasey
    inseine wrote:

Agreed. For the 2018 Tour people have talked about chosing a team for the flat lands and cobbles, for the mountains and for the TTT, not forgetting that it's only 8 riders. What SKY has is riders like Thomas, Kwia, Moscon and Kennaugh who are pretty good at all disciplines.

Look, having cobbled semi classic winners, World champ & ardenne race winners AND some of the best climbers in the peloton as help is always gonna be unrivalled.

I mean, can you imagine trying to get Museeuw, Bartoli and Vireunque to ride domestique? Nuts.
  • RichN95.
    inseine wrote:

They won't have Kennaugh next year.
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kennaugh's only ridden two Tours with Froome, both of which he won. Kennaugh was DNF in the 2015 win.
  • RichN95.
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kennaugh's only ridden two Tours with Froome, both of which he won. Kennaugh was DNF in the 2015 win.
    And next year he'll be riding with Sagan
  • inseine wrote:

Look, having cobbled semi classic winners, World champ & ardenne race winners AND some of the best climbers in the peloton as help is always gonna be unrivalled.

I mean, can you imagine trying to get Museeuw, Bartoli and Vireunque to ride domestique? Nuts.

Orica's team could be pretty good if they decide who is going to support who.
  • RichN95.
    Cancellara was an excellent domestique for Schleck
  • phreak
    phreak Posts: 2,892
    inseine wrote:

Telecom had a decent squad in 97, with #1 and #2 in last years race, winner of MSR (Zabel), winner of San Sabastien (Bolts), 6th in the '96 Vuelta (Totschnig),
  • rick_chasey
    RichN95 wrote:
    Cancellara was an excellent domestique for Schleck

He was.

Though I always suspected it was begrudgingly.
  • inseine
    phreak wrote:
    inseine wrote:

Telecom had a decent squad in 97, with #1 and #2 in last years race, winner of MSR (Zabel), winner of San Sabastien (Bolts), 6th in the '96 Vuelta (Totschnig),

So, we're agreed, SKY have a once in a generation squad?
  • m.r.m.
    m.r.m. Posts: 3,312
    Can't see how that can be disputed.
    PTP Champion 2019, 2022 & 2023
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,646

Quintana?
    Nibali?
    Bardet?

None of the above?

Bardet.

Interesting. How come?

ag2r have got a guy on the podium for 3 tours running.

its not luck... you dont develop that sort of record by accident. those claiming that 2015 was a lottery due to Contador and Froome crashing out need to understand you need to grasp opportunity when it occurs. which is class in its self.

a very young Bardet got over the cobbles in the wet when nibs won in 2015 and finished 9th when he faded in the third.

he has what it takes to be a contender and after this year I suspect his TT will improve as will the teams ttt.

Ag2r come to the tour with game.
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • andyp
    RichN95 wrote:
    andyp wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:
    And next year he'll be riding with Sagan

If he makes the Tour team. And that's a big if I think.