Commuting Lights?

crossed
crossed Posts: 237
edited October 2017 in Commuting chat
I'm in the process of moving at the moment and as a result my commute will be going up to about 15 miles each way, about 70% of which will be on unlit but reasonably quiet roads.

I currently just use Exposure Trace and TraceR lights as my commute is on lit roads. If I'm doing any night riding I use an Exposure Diablo but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now and doesn't hold a full charge after about 5 years use!

Can anyone recommend decent front commuting lights that are bright enough to see where I'm going on unlit roads without blinding drivers of oncoming cars?

Comments

• Crossed wrote:
    I'm in the process of moving at the moment and as a result my commute will be going up to about 15 miles each way, about 70% of which will be on unlit but reasonably quiet roads.

I currently just use Exposure Trace and TraceR lights as my commute is on lit roads. If I'm doing any night riding I use an Exposure Diablo but it's getting a bit long in the tooth now and doesn't hold a full charge after about 5 years use!

Can anyone recommend decent front commuting lights that are bright enough to see where I'm going on unlit roads without blinding drivers of oncoming cars?

Bright enough without blinding, you say? I'll be the first of a few to recommend the German lights. I have a dynamo one (Busch and Muller IQ-X), which is the best lighting I've ever seen on anyone's bike, but battery ones are available.
  • crossed
    That's interesting, I've never heard of them before.

Looking at their website the Ixon Space light looks interesting. Not cheap but comparable to Exposure prices so not too bad.
  • Ive just gone for a raveman PR900, brilliant front light and even has a little button for a Hi/Low beam
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    How about a copy of the Phillips SafeRide? Shaped beam, rechargeable, and you can put in 4x regular AAs if you forget to charge it. Otherwise, a fair range on rosebikes.co.uk - battery-powered headlights.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    https://dinglights.com/collections/all

THIS is a good front light. Automotive engineering on the lens.
    Can also illuminate down to your front wheel for extra visibility round town. I'm very happy with mine.
  • elbowloh
    elbowloh Posts: 7,078
    I've just bought the Trace/TraceR set to replace my Flash/Flare lights that are playing up.

I also have one of these for a dark night, Hope Vision 1:

hope-vision-1-led-front-light-black-Black-EV181070-8500-3.jpg

It runs off normal batteries, that makes it useful for long rides, as you can change the batteries rather than have to recharge. At the same time, it's then less useful for commuting I guess?
    Felt F1 2014
    Felt Z6 2012
    Red Arthur Caygill steel frame
    Tall....
    www.seewildlife.co.uk
  • Crossed wrote:

Looking at their website the Ixon Space light looks interesting. Not cheap but comparable to Exposure prices so not too bad.

If that punts out 50% more light than mine, it's officially a metric shit-tonne of light.
  • kiwimatt
    kiwimatt Posts: 208
    Crossed wrote:

If that punts out 50% more light than mine, it's officially a metric shit-tonne of light.

Those beam shots are amazing...https://www.bumm.de/de/produkte/akku-sc ... /196l.html?
    Still - 200 euros (gulp) - and not quite on sale yet another 6 weeks says Rose bikes?
  • I personally use these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Waterproof-Han ... ree+lights

I use the lowest setting for general road use, but the highest setting is great when cycling through an area without any lights. It last about 1 hour on max or about 5 hours on lowest setting.
  • crossed
    kiwimatt wrote:
    Crossed wrote:

Those beam shots are amazing...https://www.bumm.de/de/produkte/akku-sc ... /196l.html?
    Still - 200 euros (gulp) - and not quite on sale yet another 6 weeks says Rose bikes?

The beam shots look very impressive for such a small light, especially considering that it has good battery life.
    The price is a bit high but I've tried cheap lights in the past and never found anything that's even remotely useful so I'd much rather stick with paying a bit extra and getting something that will last.
  • If you get a dynamo wheel you get the added bonus of never having to remember to charge the thing ;)
  • crossed
    If you get a dynamo wheel you get the added bonus of never having to remember to charge the thing ;)

That’s one option.
    I’m looking st building up a new commuter bike and was contemplating the Hunt dynamo wheelset. Still undecided though.
  • Crossed wrote:
    kiwimatt wrote:
    Crossed wrote:

The beam shots look very impressive for such a small light, especially considering that it has good battery life.
    The price is a bit high but I've tried cheap lights in the past and never found anything that's even remotely useful so I'd much rather stick with paying a bit extra and getting something that will last.

Just to add some cynicism, the screen shots are in reflective surfaces, and beam shots are very difficult to be be fair and in most cases bare no relationship to what you see.

I’d be very surprised if it was anything like the screen shots, it’s fairly light and most must be the battery yet still 2hrs on full chat. In short something doesn’t add up, coupled with the fact that what constitutes a bright light is a very moveable feast.

If your your commute is dark lanes, personally I’d want a light that doesn’t ape the dip beam of a car, not that I’m recommending MTB lights which I use which are great for seeing, but desperately unfriendly! But there are lights with beams that are a bit of both.
  • Quins
    Quins Posts: 239
    Xeccon spear 600 for my un lit rural roads , bought 2 for under £30, USB charge, 3 settings. Absolutely powerful enough without being blinding, I still point it down as it is v bright in full power. It swivels in its mount, useful for turns. Also use a knog blinder on the front on blink mode.
  • Crossed wrote:
    kiwimatt wrote:
    Crossed wrote:

Just to add some cynicism, the screen shots are in reflective surfaces, and beam shots are very difficult to be be fair and in most cases bare no relationship to what you see.

I’d be very surprised if it was anything like the screen shots, it’s fairly light and most must be the battery yet still 2hrs on full chat. In short something doesn’t add up, coupled with the fact that what constitutes a bright light is a very moveable feast.

If your your commute is dark lanes, personally I’d want a light that doesn’t ape the dip beam of a car, not that I’m recommending MTB lights which I use which are great for seeing, but desperately unfriendly! But there are lights with beams that are a bit of both.

Beam.JPG

Hand held at 18 mph - excuse the blurry.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Beam.JPG

Muck Fe .... you drive slowly - btw - you're not supposed to hold your phone whilst driving ... !! ;)

95% of my commute is dark country A road . I find my Cateye Nanoshot + (no longer sold) plenty bright enough on dry days but could do with a bit more light on the wet days - just to see the road surface. On high power it's enough that cars dip their headlights before coming around the corner - and I switch to low power mode.
    The other element I like is the constant with flash mode - constant low power and a slow high power flash - as if you're in traffic it does (IMHO) help identify the fact that it's a bike rather than anything else.
    For dark commutes I tend to have 2 front lights - one as a spare, just in case ...

On the back is at least 2 rear lights - preferably 3 ...
  • Crossed wrote:
    kiwimatt wrote:
    Crossed wrote:

Beam.JPG

impressive photo, and I'm sure it's a good light, but photos/videos of beam shots are fraught with difficulty, shots are either darker or lighter than they look to the eye.

german standard should be easier since it's a more even spread, to get a good photo, others even if they have a a wide beam will tend to have a hot spot, which will not photo well.

It's worth noting that MTB where seeing is all important is almost dynamo free, some of which being the whole dimming when slow, which tends to be when you need lights for MTBing, and possibly since dynamos output remains fairly low, vs the fairly fast moving battery tech.
  • Actually, the low-speed isn't so much the problem with dynamo lights when MTBing, more the the beam cut-off is pretty sharp, so you wouldn't see that head-height branch...
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I'm also considering dynamo hub light but also want to charge stuff but hub originally designed for smaller 20' wheel rather than 700c so while drag is reduced so too is output at slow speed.
    Anyway I find darker it is the less light you'll need, particularly on back as your not fighting with surrounding light such as street lights shop lights etc
    For front I used to have a moon xp 500 lumen front n moon shield at 60 or 80 lumen daytime flash - still have rear and replaced front with hope vision r4 that has both on n off rd capabilities with view of running the hope district rear off same external battery pack if I don't go dynamo way...
  • andyh01
    andyh01 Posts: 599
    I'm also considering dynamo hub light but also want to charge stuff but hub originally designed for smaller 20' wheel rather than 700c so while drag is reduced so too is output at slow speed.
    Anyway I find darker it is the less light you'll need, particularly on back as your not fighting with surrounding light such as street lights shop lights etc
    For front I used to have a moon xp 500 lumen front n moon shield at 60 or 80 lumen daytime flash - still have rear and replaced front with hope vision r4 that has both on n off rd capabilities with view of running the hope district rear off same external battery pack if I don't go dynamo way...